Houdini Makes Nice .mi Files!

Guest xionmark

Guest xionmark

Hi,

So I've been using Mental Ray for the last few months with both Houdini and Maya ... just gotta say, thank you SESI for making .mi files so nicely from Houdini. I rarely have to do any parsing/fixing of the gen'd file as opposed to Maya's Maya2MR, oh what a pain!

Guess I just needed to vent ... :blink:

--Mark

Hi,

So I've been using Mental Ray for the last few months with both Houdini and Maya ... just gotta say, thank you SESI for making .mi files so nicely from Houdini.  I rarely have to do any parsing/fixing of the gen'd file as opposed to Maya's Maya2MR, oh what a pain!

Guess I just needed to vent ...  :blink:

--Mark

24351[/snapback]

Yes they are very nice and clean. I had to write a mi parser for maya & softimage mi files.

Go Sesi!

I had a RFE a while back asking to allow us to save geomety to a mi file like we can with rib files.

No, they weren't. BTW, I think they were called Moon Cresent Productions.

24356[/snapback]

Oh yes; thanks for the info. They just seemed to happen around the same time, Moon Crescent's ill-fated production and the mental ray support they were planning to use.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

since my "Crusade" to bring houdini into our pipeline continues... I need some feedback for MR integration ... about how to work in Houdini.. considering the rendering would be done in MentalRay ... can I make my VOP shaders and export a MI file?... is latest MentalRay supported?...

any help would really be appreciated since I cant try anything right now for obvious reasons... (apprentice) .. but reading your experience/guidelines/feedback is really precious for me.

cheers. :)

any news about Phenomenon into Houdini 8.1?