Dust Blowing Away

brandonY

hi guys!

well i got an idea for a intro for my demo reel ( aspiring VFX student)

i wanted to have dirt blow away and reveal my name. I was thinking maybe a animated displacement map with a bunch of particles?

im somewhat new to houdini as well. i am trying to grasp i3d shading right now. i thought maybe that i could intergrate that into it as well.

thanks for your time guys!

-B

you could try:

making your name with a font SOP

gererate particles on a grid

animate the text 'up'

create a group of particles based on the bounds of the text as it moves through the particles

use a force to blow the grouped particles away

etc

hi guys!

well i got an idea for a intro for my demo reel ( aspiring VFX student)

i wanted to  have dirt  blow away and reveal my name.  I was thinking maybe a animated displacement map with a bunch of particles?

im somewhat new to houdini as well. i am trying to grasp i3d shading right now. i thought maybe that i could intergrate that into it as well.

thanks for your time guys!

-B

24552[/snapback]

Well, one quick way I can think of in my short attention span right now is to have the font geometry pick up color attribute from your particles -- such as using Attribute Transfer SOP/POP. However, the challenge for you would be to get the attribute value to "stick" after the particles passed beyond the Attribute Transfer's search radius. You can then use this color attribute in comp to play with how the text is to be revealed in a separate pass. :)

Hope that helped.

• 1 month later...
Well, one quick way I can think of in my short attention span right now is to have the font geometry pick up color attribute from your particles -- such as using Attribute Transfer SOP/POP. However, the challenge for you would be to get the attribute value to "stick" after the particles passed beyond the Attribute Transfer's search radius.  You can then use this color attribute in comp to play with how the text is to be revealed in a separate pass. :)

Hope that helped.

24561[/snapback]

rough version

just a test i did to see if i could do it, i haven't had the chande to do it in houdini yet.

rough version

just a test i did to see if i could do it, i haven't had the chande to do it in houdini yet.

26020[/snapback]

That looks really good. I've also done something like that in 3dsmax. But i just used a trick with opacity maps, and emiting particles from selected points.

nice...

a few things that I noticed...

the N at the end seems to be either emitting or deflecting particles in a strange way

the 'background' particles seem a bit strange - like snow, and I'd remove them altogether for now as they tend to distract from the font particles...

otherwise the movement feels good...

nice...

a few things that I noticed...

the N at the end seems to be either emitting or deflecting particles in a strange way

the 'background' particles seem a bit strange - like snow, and I'd remove them altogether for now as they tend to distract from the font particles...

otherwise the movement feels good...

26027[/snapback]

another update

and the name is generic.

<<here>>

nice...

the shadows of the particles are quite strong - but I like the movement :)

oh lord.....I found the reel of a company I worked for in Calgary called Aurenya - now called New Machine....there is a shot of the Cheyenne logo animation (Bruce Willis' production company) around the middle of the reel that is an OK eg of the effect you're looking for...

http://www.newmachinestudios.com/reel.html

oh I think I should add that I didn't do the cheyenne logo...I just helped out on the comp

Edited by arctor

I think your effect is working, but the thing I'm concerned about is pushing it to the next level.. When working in motion graphics, i saw this exact way of bringing on a name/logo all the time and (unfortunately) they were able to acheive just as good of an effect as this with a simple 10 slider particle plugin in after effects.. the dust revealing logo thing to me feels like the post 2000 version of the lightning bolt scribing letters on to a wall of the 90's..

hopefully i'm not being to much of a downer :) and i'm definitely not saying to keep going with it.. just think about how you can push it further.. arctor's cheyenne example is a bit better imho by making it feel as if the letters are on some surface that is covered by dust and blowing away.. a little bit more realistic then the letters alone being revealed by dust coming off/out of them..

good stuff tho.. keep us posted.. :D

a suggestion:

instead of trying so hard to make the name appear from the particles, why dont u try to emitting from the font and playing it backwards?

heres is a gnomon link that will give u a hint and aid u

http://www.gnomononline.com/written.php?tutorial_id=41

offcourse u need to then simply play it backwards.... :)

a suggestion:

instead of trying so hard to make the name appear from the particles, why dont u try to emitting from the font and playing it backwards?

heres is a gnomon link that will give u a hint and aid u

http://www.gnomononline.com/written.php?tutorial_id=41

offcourse u need to then simply play it backwards.... :)

26071[/snapback]

thanks for the comments, this is avery simple effect, and the gnomon tutorial is kinda what i am doing, i have a animated displacement, with a animated parrticle density map.

i will play with it abit more after seeing arctor's example, i will try to push it a bit more.. and yeha the shadows are too harsh, i will fix that, thanks again

• 10 months later...

Looking good.

Try putting a little variation in the sand; different sizes and or weight.

Also, try using multiple forces. Maybe some metaballs swirling from center to edges.

Also, try to get the sand to kick up into the camera a little, just a few particles will help give it some depth.

Looks great.

~Shawn