Distributed Rendering

Talking with Sesi these days to plan which licenses to buy ... does RScript Licenses are the one needed/used to render IFD files?

I'm also collecting advices for which "farm manager" to use.. I'll give a look at Sun Grid engine.. but I'd like to know anything you successfully worked with..

cheers

p.s. everything Linux based btw.

Yep, rscript's entire purpose in life is to generate IFD (or RIB) to render from. It supports switching Takes but cannot opadd or opparm anything except for ROPs.

This limits it to rendering tasks only and not any scene-building / manipulation tasks.

[one' date=Jul 15 2006, 02:29 AM' post='29290] ok . but then why having such option inside houdini .... or as a separated "license token"? (which is to be paid as well) ... this is what i dont understand... the difference between a Rscript License.. (and command?) and the "generate script" option inside mantra Rop.

sorry :) ...

with "generate script" option you could prepare your scene in non-commercial edition, save to ifd (which is mostly ASCII file so its easy for editing like changing output resolution etc) and then render your ifd's on commercial license... That's why this feature is disabled.

Generally all asserts exporting tools are disabled. Whatever digital material you prepare inside Houdini you have two choices: save it in nc-format or render via ROP with proper limitations.

this is cleaer thought, isn't it?

cheers,

SY.

with "generate script" option you could prepare your scene in non-commercial edition, save to ifd (which is mostly ASCII file so its easy for editing like changing output resolution etc) and then render your ifd's on commercial license... That's why this feature is disabled.

Generally all asserts exporting tools are disabled. Whatever digital material you prepare inside Houdini you have two choices: save it in nc-format or render via ROP with proper limitations.

this is cleaer thought, isn't it?

cheers,

SY.

yeah. now it is. thanks.

sorry but... I'm alone here and I'm trying to figure best choices so i wont risk to make company change mind at last minute.. i'm finally close to buy licenses and i wont make any mistakes...

thanks for your replies.