liquid metal effect

christianl013

hey guys, I am pretty new to Houdini and am trying to achieve a specific effect. Here is a link to a video reference of what I am trying to do: 

At about the 1:53 mark is a good reference of what I am trying to achieve in terms of the animation. It's kind of like a liquid metal growth that I need to turn into solid metal over time, like a mesh that turns solid.

So, my question to the great Houdini minds out there is this, how would I go about achieving this with Houdini? I know the answer may not be a quick one but even if I was pointed in the right direction it would be a great help. 

Thanks!

Cheers, Christian

Thanks, that was a great idea, I seem to have gotten somewhere with this. I now have thousands of these on a geo via copy to points but I need to get it into max. I packed them using a pack node before copy to points and then exported to alembic. When I imported the abc into Max my RAM went through the roof and Max pretty much locked up; so clearly I did something wrong there. I tried reducing the poly count as best I could but I think I am missing the general workflow here. Have you done this before? Can you clue me in on how this usually is done if I need it to go to another 3d application like Maya or Max? 

Thanks!

Cheers, Christian