Dynamic Cracks on a glass dome

karanjaura

Hi everyone,

I'm working on this FX where the surface(a glass dome)is getting cracked, so it can not be pre fractured and it will eventually shatter hence dynamic cracks.

I was wondering if any of you have an idea on how to approach this. 

I know Lsystem,Boolean Sop and Voronoi fracture could be the key elements in this but not sure about the right approach.

Thanks a lot for any kind of help.

Karan

glasscrack.hip

here is some basic idea for you to do the glass crack. Basic you need control the curve revel to make the crack animation. you also can use carve sop to control a hero curve.

if you want to do the cracking with some segment falling down. you can bring the setup into sopsolver.

hope it helpful

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bmn123bmn said:

glasscrack.hip

here is some basic idea for you to do the glass crack. Basic you need control the curve revel to make the crack animation. you also can use carve sop to control a hero curve.

if you want to do the cracking with some segment falling down. you can bring the setup into sopsolver.

hope it helpful

Hi Monan,

Thanks a lot for your time in putting up that file,very nicely done setup,surely it will give me a good starting point :)

cheers !!

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I finally started to work on my shot from this week and managed to get the attached look for my cracks, now the next step is I need to shatter this apart.

The problem I face is if I polyextrude these curves(as cutters) for boolean with the Dome, I am not getting proper individual chunks for obvious reason that the curves are not properly connected.

What I am thinking is to project Cd thru these curves on the Dome extract the texture from there and then paint those gaps,bring in the image back to houdini and use trace SOP to get all connected curves.

But unfortunately trace SOP is tracing the edges of the stroke thus giving a Border and not a single line curve. 

Can anyone suggest me any idea how can I fill these gaps to get a proper curve to be used as a cutter for the boolean.

And let me tell you these cracks are driven by lot of random variables, so just by increasing there length will not gonna work, as that changes the look of the crack completely. 

Hope someone can suggest me some option.

Thanks a lot

houdiniCracks_curves.jpg

houdiniCracks_GEO.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Av0000 said:

Hi karanjaura, may I take a look at the file that you solve the crack? I would like to learn it

Hi Rex

I can't upload this file as its related to the project, but I can make a simplified version of it later to show the technique I used to make cracks.

But that will take sometime as I am on tight schedule. 

Cheers !!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...