The Artists Guide to Technical Direction in Houdini: Volume 0 - HScript

Allegro

The Artist's Guide to Technical Direction in Houdini - Volume 0: Hscript

Asset02.NoTitle.thumb.jpg.11258a5920174490dce367fa9eaf7608.jpg

Back in 2005 I got my start as an intern at Side Effects Software Inc.

Over the past decade of using Houdini, I've worked around the world in the film (Starz Animation, Dr. D, Digital Domain) and games (The Coalition, BioWare, EA Motive) industries. In this time, I've had the pleasure of working with many artists who were new to Houdini and sharing some of the insight I've gained. While most people are pretty excited to get their hands on the flashier parts of the software such as FLIP and Pyro, I think that Houdini's greatest strength comes from it's sheer flexibility. And that flexibility is something that only opens up the deeper you delve into how things work. What I like most about Houdini is discovering new ways of doing things.

One complaint I've heard time and again, is that after following a tutorial, new artists are often left with something that looks pretty but with little understanding of how anything actually works. I'm always hearing complaints about how steep the learning curve is with Houdini. I'm seeking to help fix that with 7 hours of new training 
material that focus specifically on HScript scripting in Houdini. This course I've designed for artists who are either lacking a technical background, or who may have experience in other packages but want to understand Houdini better.

We'll avoid creating pretty things in this series. Instead, I want to keep a sharp focus on how things work. That means learning about procedural 
networks, variables and attributes, functions, and for-each loops. Most importantly, I address how to self-learn Houdini. My hope is that this course will build a solid foundation for you to get the most of any future training you pursue and help you to understand how to get the most out of your Houdini networks.

If you'd like to become more adept at scripting 
in Houdini, please consider signing up for my course: https://mixtrn.com/course/the-artists-guide-to-technical-direction-in-houdini-hscript/

Have a Great Day!

• Like 1