Houdini Crashes And Linux

Hi,

i've got a problem when houdini crashes...

I always loved how houdini can recover your @ss when it crashes .. by saving a hip file in the /tmp folder which almost lets you recover your lost work by loading such file... but since i moved to Linux i cant anymore..

Error is (when loading the file in houdini)

jclaude.9814.hip load failed:
Error: Unexpected End Of Stream: CPIO Packet Open Read.start.
Unexpected End Of Stream: CPIO Packet Open Read..

and properties of such file are (/tmp folder):

-rw-rw-r--  1 jclaude jclaude       83 Apr 26 16:49 jclaude.9814.hip

/tmp folder is root owned but with rwxrwxrwx permissions ..

should I change the /tmp folder to someone else?

cheers.

I think Houdini is doing the right thing but the crash is bad enough that the file it writes to /tmp is incomplete...hence the "Unexpected End Of Stream"

this has happened to me enought times in the past that I know it's not Houdini's fault...just bad luck...

if in the other hand it does this ALL the time with DIFFERENT hip files then it might be something SESI should look into...

HTH

I think Houdini is doing the right thing but the crash is bad enough that the file it writes to /tmp is incomplete...hence the "Unexpected End Of Stream"

this has happened to me enought times in the past that I know it's not Houdini's fault...just bad luck...

if in the other hand it does this ALL the time with DIFFERENT hip files then it might be something SESI should look into...

HTH

26911[/snapback]

actually it did everytime here.. with different HIP files... since I'm on Linux on this laptop ... so I'd consider posting it on SESI.. yeah.

The sure way to test is this:

1. Create a simple Houdini session that you don't care about.

2. Open up the textport and run: coredump -f

This should crash Houdini and produce a clean .hip file. If that doesn't work, send it into support with specific system and build details.

The sure way to test is this:

1. Create a simple Houdini session that you don't care about.

2. Open up the textport and run: coredump -f

This should crash Houdini and produce a clean .hip file. If that doesn't work, send it into support with specific system and build details.

26933[/snapback]

ok.. then I've got something wrong here... still CPIO error and 83Bytes files in /tmp folder.

thanks for this.. i'll post this problem at sidefx

I should send the generated HIP file?

cheers

Just email support (AT sidefx.com) with your .hip file compressed and exact steps you took to reproduce it.

26952[/snapback]

ok.. but since this happens even with "coredump -f" ... and with every of my hip file (or empty scene with coredump) .. what should I send to 'em?

I posted on sideFx.. and i got couple of replies which actually didnt helped yet .. it seems apparently something is bad somehow in my config... dunno...

cheers

ok.. but since this happens even with "coredump -f" ... and with every of my hip file (or empty scene with coredump) .. what should I send to 'em?

26953[/snapback]

Send them your before and after hip files I guess. ie. what you used to load and then 83 byte file after that. Let them know it was generated with coredump -f so they can see if it happens on them. It sounds like it's not happening for them? You're not on some exotic platform like using the new 64-bit build or anything right?

yeah...often we can help with things that we've experienced before but when an issue get's to a certain point you really have to go to the source - and it helps everyone when SESI can see problems and find solutions for them...