Material palette : personalize and backup ?

Hello all,

I'd like to know if I can personalize the Material Palette by adding my own materials.

Also, where would this personalized material palette be stored in the hard drive, so I can back it up and reload it on other PC's or Windows re-installs?

Thanks

Gz

• 3 weeks later...

no, you can just right-click your material and select Save>To Gallery. In the dialog you can setup various properties of the gallery item like what file and what gallery category you want to save to. Or you can also directly drag'n'drop into gallery list. 

if you create a new item it will be automatically saved into Custom.gal in your user folder.

and by the way you can save any node/subnet into gallery. very efficient for keeping/sharing node networks of any kind without having to turning it into digital asset

Edited by davpe

Hello Davpe, thanks for the info, I manager to do most of the things you advised. Now i have my own gallery *.gal file.

I imported my gallery into the gallery manager, and it remains there after I restart Houdini.

If I want to go forward I guess I have to add this gallery also in the material palette? Well it does not seem to work. After I click on the "Import gallery file" button and select my file, the personal gallery does not appear in the tree view.

I can drag a material from gallery manager to material palette, but not a personalized material folder hierarchy...

Also how can I edit a material in a personalized gallery? After I drag and drop a yellow material from gallery manager to material palette, change its color to blue, how can I save this change?

Thanks

Edited by grendizer

well that's interesting, i would expect your custom gallery file to appear in material palette automatically. to be honest, I don't ever use material palette so I don't have an answer to this issue. I would report this to sidefx as it looks like a bug to me. 

if you want to make a change to any item that already is in the gallery, you have to save it to the gallery as a new entry, and delete the original one (if that's what you mean). this is a bit clumsy but not a big deal...

I think it depends what you want. HDAs are certainly an option but Gallery is great if you want to share something simple real quickly. And you won't be able to put HDA into Material palette either. 

The way I work is that I use Gallery files primarily, and if I decide to make it a more polished tool then I turn it into HDA when I feel I have tested the functionality enough (I tend to make a lot of revisions before I'm satisfied, which is easier with gallery files). Anyways lot of my tools are just quick setups, quite messy, and I know I will need those only temporarily for the current project for instance. And after that I just toss them. Making HDAs and HDA versions all the time would be just too much hassle. But it depends what works for you really... 

Edited by davpe

• 1 year later...

If you have previously saved a new version of an existing gallery, Houdini will copy the old one into a backup directory in the <HOUDINI>\gallery\ folder.  If this was a new item that was delete, you might not be able to.  Was it thrown into the trash maybe?

One other thing to check, would be to see if you gallery was save into the Custom.gal file.  This is where any gallery that isn't given a unique name is saved into by default.  From the file size, it look like there are quite a few of mine that are being saved into a single gallery file.

Edited by Howitzer99