Another question about Pyro, FlLIP, Grains simulations and Clock Speed vs Core Speed

HM_2020

Cheers, 

Do we have a list of which solvers do and don't use cores? :D

I am considering building a new box, thinking of avoiding i9, but getting an 2066 motherboard (to upgrade to i9 in future), with something like a top of the line 6 core i7 OC at 5.0ghz, start with 64gb until ram goes down.  Or thinking of getting an older z840 with more cores but slower clock speeds. 

It seems from your posts and others in other threads that most people agree with clock speed.  Just wondering where that sweet spot is for price, performance and no hassle with things like mad water cooling, or power consumption (shame about threadrippers being energy hogs... they seem like the right thing to go for!)

Its pretty daunting as usual to figure out whats best to get....worse than buying a car ;)

I am still confused how my i5 4 core OC to 4.2ghz sims almost as fast as i7 or i9 and faster than xeons which all had so many more cores!?!?  

Thanks!

Remember, the extra cores offered in the intel brand are "hyperthreaded" so they don't offer a full 100% extra core, typically 50% of original. Even though you think you are getting a 8 cores, when measured under load you may only get the speed of 6 physical cores.

• 3 weeks later...