My RTX 2080 experience

art3mis

Just a heads up for anyone with a hardware setup similar to mine.

Asus Extreme X399 and AMD Threadripper. And also plan on mixing new RTX with older cards. You might be spending a lot of time fiddling with your hardware trying to make everything work properly!

I have a TitanV which has been rock solid on my box for over a year in both Windows and Ubuntu (its dual boot). But spent half the weekend trying to get a 2nd RTX2080 running nicely in my setup.

1st kept getting a Code OE error without posting which I finally resolved by swapping card PCIE slots. Then was getting a Bad TLP followed by a Bad DLLP repeated error after getting past Ubuntu's grub menu. I grabbed the latest RTX compatible Nvidia driver 411.xx and booted into Windows to resolve this. Then when benchmarking experienced random power shutdown more than once. Was able to successfully reboot after waiting a minute or so but just added to my frustration. I am guessing these issues are related to my BIOS, the X399 is fairly new and may still have a few bugs and compatibility issues with new hardware. But have decided to return and save my pennies towards a 2nd TitanV. YMMV.

Also consider watercooling these guys or having really good fans, they get quite warm! (The baseplate on my TitanV feels just warm to the touch under load, the baseplate on the 2080 feels well...hot!!)

I will probably revisit RTX technology again in a year when the next gen cards come out.

Edited by art3mis