Setting shader attributes in SOPs

CinnamonMetal

What happened to the PBRSpecular VOP in SHOPs ? 

As well, you can set an attribute from within VOPs in a SOP wrangler.  Therefore since I'm using specular and specular intensity has a parameter Ks, within a primitive wrangler I set the following;

if(@Frame > 12){
@Ks = 2.0;
}else{
@Ks = 12.0;
}

Although I don't see the specular changing ?

The PBR specular VOP is still there, just it's hidden.

In the textport type opunhide Vop pbrspecular::3.0 , press enter and you will have it again. 

About changing the specular intensity of the material using a wrangle.. here it's working on H16.5. Are you doing it for a material in mat context or shop?

All the nodes from the previous version are still in Houdini, just you can't see them until you use the command I was mentioning before or you open old scenes. So if you prefer the PBR specular than the specular you just need to unhide it. If it wasn't like that it would be really hard to work in old Houdini scenes with the new versions since often they do huge updates to the nodes.  I have no idea about the difference between the two, sorry. If I have to guess I would say that the PBR specular is not supposed to be used anymore since have been introduced some new nodes for reflections.

No I didn't attached a scene. You mean for your expression with Ks?

p.s: I think in SHOP it's not enough using just a wrangle with the expression but you also need to use a bind for changing the values

9 hours ago, Andrea said:

No I didn't attached a scene. You mean for your expression with Ks?

p.s: I think in SHOP it's not enough using just a wrangle with the expression but you also need to use a bind for changing the values

Yes.

Are you saying I have to bind the attribute into SHOP; why would that be needed as within the SHOP network the Ks attribute / parameter already exists ?

Watch this until the 20 minute mark.

In the video the chocolate material has all the values already exposed at SHOP level. If the values are exposed you can change them using just a wrangle. If the parameters are not exposed, so you have to dive inside the VOP material for change them, you need to use a bind and tell houdini to read the value of the geometry attribute you assigned. If there are other ways (and probably there are) I am not aware of them.

Below the hip file with the 3 different methods: exposed parameters, not exposed parameters and using a bind. 

Override_shop_values.hip

• Like 1