Lighting Challenges Wip

I have been working on this fruit lighting for a while now and I think something is missing in this piece.I would like to hear some suggestions on how to improve this.

This is my first lighting exercise using takes and workflow from sesi tutorials to create many passes .I comped back later in halo .So far I have seperate diffuse,specular,wet/SSS,shadow and ambient occlusion in seperate pass.I think it is a little overkill for simple scene like this but i am having fun with controlling all the passes.

post-602-1146729681_thumb.jpg

thanks.

Hi,

I would add some colored fill lights or tint and mix in more of your ambient occlusion pass to brighten those black shadows. Can you post your passes? :) Erm.. Those black outlines around objects are wanted, render artifact or premultiplication problem?

Hi altbighead,

The image looks great to me, but I would make the specular a bit sharper on the cherries and grapes.

I also downloaded that file and wanted to give it a try... i just need some free time to make the lighting tutorial.

Cheers!

I have been working on this fruit lighting for a while now and I think something is missing in this piece.I would like to hear some suggestions on how to improve this.

Looks pretty good, but one small suggestion would be to add some translucency to the grapes. To my eye (at least) they look a little too solid. Perhaps some SSS?

Looks pretty good, but one small suggestion would be to add some translucency to the grapes.  To my eye (at least) they look a little too solid.  Perhaps some SSS?

27214[/snapback]

Yup. And I'd think that everything is way oversaturated too.

i have SSS passes fo rmost of the fruit but i guess i am not adding properly.Right now I use screen to combine diffuse and SSS.

post-602-1146765255_thumb.jpg

I have one more question.Do you gus think I should add tiny bits of reflection for some of the fruits and plate too.I am a little confused on how to generate them. Lest say I want a refelection of kitchen enviroment as well as reflcetion from other fruits.

i have SSS passes fo rmost of the fruit but i guess i am not adding properly.Right now I use screen to combine diffuse and SSS.

post-602-1146765255_thumb.jpg

I have one more question.Do you gus think I should add tiny bits of reflection for some of the fruits and plate too.I am a little confused on how to generate them. Lest say I want a refelection of  kitchen enviroment as well as reflcetion from other fruits.

27217[/snapback]

ohhh.. now i'm curious about that SSS pass :D:D

Since you're matching real-life and there must be millions of high resolution still life pictures of fruit out there, don't be shy to mimic these don't to the minutae.

It's not often in production you can lever EXACT reference, so take advantage of it. Don't imagine you can achieve a realistic look without reference.

Don't imagine you can achieve a realistic look without reference.

27221[/snapback]

And as for still life, you could use these for light and mood references.

http://www.artnet.com/artwork_images_94842...lis-de-heem.jpg

http://www.artnet.com/artwork_images_15117...lis-de-heem.jpg

http://www.artrenewal.org/...../SON_Joris_...With_Cheese.jpg

http://www.artrenewal.org/......Still_Life...And_Lobster.jpg

*you have to copy and paste the last two links for them to work

Cough! (colour bleed) Cough!

:)

27235[/snapback]

yep :) .. I am looking into it.Right now I am trying to get a reflection pass working.I did some reseach on colour bleeding and the only way to get is to use GI or to use low density light to fake it?and how would you generate a

seperate pass for that?

Thanks. :unsure:

If you dont want to get into GI, you could try some blured reflections to simulate the bleeding.

Well, if you're going to take the computation hit for massively blurred reflections, you may as well just use GI and do it right. As least with GI you can use caching and such.

Hugely blurred reflections are just many averaged reflection samples oriented around the reflection direction versus GI which are reflection samples oriented around the surface normal. Almost the same thing.

Hugely blurred reflections are just many averaged reflection samples oriented around the reflection direction versus GI which are reflection samples oriented around the surface normal. Almost the same thing.

A birdie reminded me of the distinct bias toward the reflection direction for blurred reflections causes very different results than a GI solution and I'd think is probably far more obvious when the camera moves. Appreciating the differences on still spheres makes it hard to judge without a moving camera and/or GI comparison.

Do you know how to set up a GI pass?

Cheers,

Jason