Lighting Challenges Wip

A birdie reminded me of the distinct bias toward the reflection direction for blurred reflections causes very different results than a GI solution and I'd think is probably far more obvious when the camera moves. Appreciating the differences on still spheres makes it hard to judge without a moving camera and/or GI comparison.

27270[/snapback]

Yup it does. Maybe I shoud have said "imitate", after all that is all we are doing here on CG-World ;-)

I've even seen some people use the term Fakeosity.

yes and no.I know how to setup GI but not really sure how to generate in seperate pass.

thank everyone for thier inputs. :)

This method works for me:

http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3170&st=36

It's not a separate pass, however. What it does do that a typical GI light setup won't do is contribute ambient illumination colour bleed as well as direct illumination colour bleed.

post-237-1146857154_thumb.jpg

Good work alt, the image looks a lot more vibrant now.

More crits: Watch out for anti-aliasing errors in the composite when you start pushing color values (the banana for example). Try clamping the values and multiplying by alpha to tame the aliasing. The "fresnel effect" is a bit strong on some fruit, and the orange strikes me as being too reflective. I love the grapes, they look really good.

Another thing to watch out for, the "fresnel effect" I mentioned should be attenuated in areas where the fruits are in shadow. Right now they kinda seperate them from their shadows and make them look floaty.

cheers!

I like your rim light it really helps,

but I cant help but feel that it should be off to one side a bit because it seems that it is "lifting" the fruit too much.

Especially in the objects towards the front of the plate.

The only other crit is the reflection on the orange id too much.

Good work, keep it up.

HTH

I think I know why you are getting those black outlines. Try disabling alpha Plane Scope on your adds.

By default it composites alphas the same way as colors. Around edges in properly antialiased images is some gray and you're probably adding gray and gray and in result alpha between your rendered image and image after adds changes. Then you have probably over. Over is simply take your foreground image and add background image multiplied by inverse of alpha of FG image (not sure whether Houdini assumes premultiplied foreground or not. If not, FG image is multiplied by its alpha). But it takes "hardened" alpha from adds. It is better to show on some examples, but I'm too lazy right now :) .

BTW I can be entirely wrong :unsure:

I think I know why you are getting those black outlines. Try disabling alpha Plane Scope on your adds.

By default it composites alphas the same way as colors. Around edges in properly antialiased images is some gray and you're probably adding gray and gray and in result alpha between your rendered image and image after adds changes. Then you have probably over. Over is simply take your foreground image and add background image multiplied by inverse of alpha  of FG image (not sure whether Houdini assumes premultiplied foreground or not. If not, FG image is multiplied by its alpha). But it takes "hardened" alpha from adds. It is better to show on some examples, but I'm too lazy right now  :) .

BTW I can be entirely wrong :unsure:

27371[/snapback]

You the man !!. yes I turn off alpha in all my composites and all the sharp edges are gone.

Thanks everyone for their inputs. ;)