Create a bevel profile followin surface normal

djdimidrol

Hello, everybody

I ve an issue with frame cockpit modeling

I have a glass surface which has a complicated form

and i need to create a frame for it, so frame cross section should following glass normal. I has a glass geometry coming from file (pic 1). And frame crosssection also coming from file. 

I can only load simple version of surface (without rows and cols) (pic2) and made something that im looking for (pic 3) but crossections are following sufrace not correctly that way. I dont understand how to create a path with normals from border of pic1 surface

Thanx

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

On 13.12.2018 at 4:27 AM, Noobini said:

it would help if you post your file so ppl don't have to spend time trying to recreate your scene.

While this is not your way of creating the frame geo...it's one possible way.

vu_edging.hiplc

Sorry for that, will keep in mind about the scene

Thax for help, but your solution working only with for sqare cross section frame, but i need it to be a custom shape coming from file. 

In 3d max i would get a spline border from glass and pass my custom cross section with the sweep, but it also has a wrong twist of cross section that not correctly following the glass

so as i understand i need to try get this border spline but (dont know how) and try just sweep

if it give me same wrong result , it need to transfer normals from polys of glass to spline segments of border, or made a custom rotation of each cross section with this normals. But i just have no idea how to realize it. Im really newbie in Houdini

I ve attached my scene

4.JPG

Ship.rar

until someone can actually deliver a perfect solution....my method is still best...here it is approximating the custom profile.

yeah you can argue it's not using the custom profile til the cows come home....well let's see other working solutions please.

vu_edging2.hiplc

Edited by Noobini

ok then, i'll do it meself....

done.

(your scale is ridiculous to work with...ie. if I want to display normals...it's like a tiny miniscule dot because of your huge scale...so I've scaled everything down by factor of 100. You can of course restore the scale back to 1 if you prefer)

vu_edging3.hiplc

Edited by Noobini

On 16.12.2018 at 4:04 AM, Noobini said:

ok then, i'll do it meself....

done.

(your scale is ridiculous to work with...ie. if I want to display normals...it's like a tiny miniscule dot because of your huge scale...so I've scaled everything down by factor of 100. You can of course restore the scale back to 1 if you prefer)

vu_edging3.hiplc

I dont know what to say)

Looks perfect!

Thank you!! Very Cool and clean!