Supernova

davido

Hey

Thought i would show you guys this, another class assignment that i took a

little bit further. Unfortunately i only have the shockwave for now but the exploding star will be posted hopefully soon after the weekend.

hope you like it :)

image.jpg

and her e is the animation (background is just some random image that i grabbed from google)

Shockwave animation

Looks like a fun project. :)

I think there might be 2 areas you could change that'll improve the look a lot.

*/ There is a sense of scale that is lost due to the speed of the advancing edge. I'd make it travel faster in the begining and quickly slow down as it expands. Try to make it read as huge and powerful.

*/ The detail in edge seems to flicker frame to frame. The detail should take a few frames to evolve or develop and erode.

Good start!

Jason

I agre with jason's points...it's a good start though...

<rant>

however I really have to say that I hate this type of effect - it's just wrong...shockwaves are spherical...the 'edge' that you see is like the common x-ray shaders - you only see the edge perpendicular to your view - never coming at you like this, it just isn't right....

</rant>

Hey guys

Thank you for your comments :)

I reanimated the wave and it looks much better now, more powerfull.

There seem to be alot of mixed feelings about these scockwave effects, some love them others hate them, but yeah i see your point :) .

Personally in think these effects look kinda cool but they did get cheesy years ago :P

Rendering the new shockwave right now along with an exploding star (rock) test. Will post that as soon as it is done (sometime tonight)

(geek mode on)

This effect is commonly referred to as the "praxis effect" in reference to it's useage in the beginning of Star Trek 6 as implemented by ILM. "Praxis" was aparently the name of the moon that exploded.

(geek mode still on) :)

Praxis - a moon of Qo'noS, and the Klingon Empire's prime source of dilithium. In 2293, Praxis exploded due to overmining and disregard for safety measures, blowing off about 60% of the moon's material and causing life-threatening damage to the atmosphere of Qo'noS. The military economy of the Klingon Empire also crumbled and as a result, forced them into a truce with the Federation. It was featured in the movie Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. How the damage was rectified has not been revealed, but Qo'noS is shown to still be inhabitable and still the seat of power well into the 24th Century.

oh lord I have to get a life...

oh and here's some more:

Shock propagating into a stationary flow

* This shock is generally generated by the interaction of two bodies of gas at different pressure, with a shock wave propagating into the lower pressure gas, and an expansion wave propagating into the higher pressure gas.

* Examples: Balloon bursting, Shock tube, shock wave from explosion

* In this case, the gas ahead of the shock is stationary (in the laboratory frame), and the gas behind the shock is supersonic in the laboratory frame. The shock propagates normal to the oncoming flow. The speed of the shock is a function of the original pressure ratio between the two bodies of gas.

I thought this effect was a little older than Star Trek 6 though, well guess it shows my ignorance :P

i am playing around with the shattering metior, does anyone have a good way of shattering objects into differently sized pieces

( kinda looks like a shatterin ball of sand right now)

rockexpl.jpg

Exploding rock

oh yeah, the flickering in the scockwave is due to low supersampling (will be rendering overnight), could look cool with a higher quality render on top of it though.

thanks again :)

soooooooooo, still rendering out the shockwave but it is taking forever to render for some reason. I am guessing it is partially due to the fact that i am having the shader pick up point colors. There are only about 40.000 particles in the scene at frame 50 and each frame is taking about 90 minutes (way too much time for the nature of this setup). does anyone have any ideas on optimizing render settings for this?

The issue of scale has been mentioned, but I believe this might be corrected by using a different lens. I am guessing that you are working with a default camera and then that your items are not much bigger than your camera.

Consider the scale difference. Try decreasing your focal length. This should help make the items feel bigger, but really what you need to be doing is shrinking the camera to be in scale with your star sized objects.

this is a focal length comparison:

default 50 vs 15:

focal-length.gif

cheers, the project sounds fun for sure.