Mirrorring Characters Workflow

lisux

I am making some characters work and I have a some doubts about the workflow using the Mirror and Mirror Capture weights tools.

The Mirror tool copy all perfectly except the pCapt attribute created by the Capture SOP.

So all is copied except the weights of the geometry.

Then it is supossed that I have to use Mirror Capture Weights to mirror the wights from one side to another. The problem cames because the this tool seems to need the pCapt attribute in the destination geometry to work, so I have to recapture geometry in the new geometry again and then apply Mirror Capture Weights.

I don't understand why the Mirror tool doesn't copy the pCapt attribute, this would sove all the problems I think.

Second, why Mirror Capture weights needs the pCapt attribute in the destination geometry? Why it doesn't craeete this attribute itself?

Thanks.

I think the simplest answer is that the mirror tool isn't really doing anything too smart, which is rare for a houdini tool. It is really just swapping indexes in the array of bone captures. You need to have all your geometry captured in order for it to work otherwise it doesn't know how to move the values around.

In houdini it is always best to use the cregions to do a very rough capture all over the character, then fine tune one side and then you should be able to mirror the attributes.

Really the entire capture attribute stuff is a lot of legacy and i'm sure could be improved to make it a bit smarter and more flexible (like being able to mix and composite other attributes ontop of capture/deform, which you can currently do, just not easily)

I feel your pain.You ask valid questions. I'm sure E.D.W.A.R.D. could explain it in a more elegant manner... but Tuesday is the new Monday and that's all I have... sorry.

-k

S a good workflow could be to create one half of the character, capture this half, make a Mirror and then an Atribute Mirror to pass the pCapt attribute to one side to the another not?

well I meant that you don't have to fiddle with the other half's capture regions - just make sure that the mesh is covered, so it'll get the attrib

27937[/snapback]

Yes, I don't havo care about the capture regions because these are defined in the bones parameters.

But the problems still because when the Mirror tool creates the new half geometry, in the Capture SOP nodes the pCapt attribute have dissapeared, don't ask me why but this is the actual behaviour of the Mirror tool.

So I have to do a Capture Geometry in all the new gemetry to create a new Capture SOP that has pCapt attribute.