Deforming Internal Points Using a Surface Mesh

Hey Everyone,

So I have this basic growth effect going (eventually its going to be some sort of magic reveal). As you can see the growth animation is happening with the character in a reference pose. I'm going to have the character animated (probably just a walk cycle) and I would like to deform the growth mesh to match the movement from the animated mesh (so that essentially the character is being revealed while walking). I'm wondering if anyone has tried this or has an idea for how to do it. So far the best result I've gotten have been with the Cloth Capture and Deform Nodes, but I'm still getting some issues. The main problem is that the capture radius required for a good result changes depending on how far the point is from the surface, so no matter what I set it to there's always a part that doesn't quite work. Does anyone know if there's another way of achieving this? Any suggestions at all would be much appreciated. Later on when I have a bit more time I'll post an example scene of what I've tried already.

char_growth_reveal_v001.gif

@Atom thanks for the tip. I was having some issues with point deform originally but subdividing the mesh seems to have fixed the issue. As a follow up, while it seems to work fine so far for walks and runs and general animations, I've found it seems to struggle for things with lots of local deformation. For example I did a quick softbody vellum sim on the pighead, and then I tried to deform an eroded version of the pig (convert to vdb->erode->convert to polys) and I get some intersecting around areas with a lot deformation. The sim mesh itself doesn't intersect at all, and subdividing the sim mesh doesn't help either. Do you have any ideas on how to get around a problem like this?

Interection Problems_with cage.png

Intersection Problems.png