Curve Normals

peliosis

How to control curve normals in houdini.

In advanced renderman they talk about N attribute which is nothing hot, but houdini seems to ignore it no matter what class, twisting the curve to face the camera. I really like it from the side but can't achieve it.

Also is there any possibility to set up curve point normals correctly (as angle bisectors) other than polyextruding it and transfering normals from created polygons, which I believe is not superbly robust.

There should be a sop for manually editing normals by draging their tips and a possibility to rotate them around local axes in point sop.

I know how to modify the normals with point sop, the magic begins when you notice that these normals do nothing when rendering a curve with "width" attribute. It still faces the camera.

28141[/snapback]

Wire rendering in Mantra wants you to use an "orient" vector attribute to do this.

Wire rendering in Mantra wants you to use an "orient" vector attribute to do this.

28142[/snapback]

yahoo, I guess It'd be better to stick to vex than trying to use rman "whateverIreads" to mantra.

Thanks a lot Jason!