ocean + ripple solver setup

nicoladanese

hey!

I'm doing a water surface using the ocean tool under H16.5 and it's all good so far, now I want to intriduce a little wake in the deformed surface. I'm not using the displacement pipeline so I have the actual geo that I can bake and then apply the wake. is the ripple solver the right way to go? I'm struggling to combine the two effect and to apply the ripple solver on a moving object...any idea?

interesting enough I was looking into the same page, on another topic, I found a way to add deformations on a plane

http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=Houdini#Point_and_attribute_transfer_with_lag_via_solver_sop

and then feed it to the ripple solver thanks to an entagma tutorial, I'm hoping I can now combine the ocean and the ripple together, I guess the best would be to feed the grid with the ripples into the ocean deformer, rather than doing vice-versa, or maybe I can cached them separately and add the difference later on a per-point analysis 

just to update who's interested in the topic, after a few test I think the best is to simulate the wake with the ripple solver, and then apply the ocean displacement to that mesh, main reason is the fact that the ripple solver is simulated over time, so I think is better to get that sorted, and after apply the ocean displacement, which is easier to control. I'm happy to share an example scene if someone needs it ;)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...