Spiral around mesh

nibbla

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to create a spiral polyline wrapped around a rather intricate mesh surface.

I was able to achieve something like this in Grasshopper (screenshot attached). However, the spirals are straight for an entire lap around the mesh before "jumping up" to the next level so-to-speak. What I'm after is more of a smooth spiral following the mesh surface all the way form the bottom to the top.

I've been trying my luck with the Creep SOP, but to no avail.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Best,

Nibbla

Spiraling upwards.JPG

I've done something similar to that by essentially building a spiral curve that is slightly wider than the mesh, that covers the height of your object. Then use a ray sop with the projection set to minimum distance to get the curve placed on your object.  That's how I made this:

Thank you so much! This is definitely something along the lines (no pun intended) of what I'm after!

Now I'm trying to distribute the spiral unevenly around the mesh. So that if I have a shape that is taller in one end, there will be more distance between the spiraling lines in that end (see illustration).

I've tried to achive something like this with the help of the Bend SOP to taper the lines, but its flimsy to say the least (file attached).

Any help in achieving this next step is very much appreciated!!!

All the best,

Nibbla

illustration bent lines.jpg

Uneven spiral ray.hipnc

This isn't perfect by any means but doing an attribute transfer with 'match P attribute' ticked gets it somewhere near, it's not nice and evenly spaced though. Tried a smooth and relax with varying degrees of success. The resulting shape can then be ray'd back onto the surface, again with varying degree of success.

spiral2.thumb.jpg.5c1bb84e2da7ebc74a1db5beee6be08b.jpg

Uneven spiral ray.hipnc