Smoke sim slow despite no density?

ibaniser

Hi guys, might be a silly question but my smoke sim has density sourced from particles which have bursts throughout the timeline so there are gaps in time where the smoke has dissipated. Despite this, my sim is still taking a while during these gaps and I am wondering if there are rogue fields still active that I can eliminate to speed it up? Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

It sounds like you are saying that you have gaps in the source emissions, so you are wondering why the sim is still taking a long during that time. It's probably a combination of your dissipation value, and where density is still being calculated in your fluid container. If your container is dynamically scaled according to the density it finds, and is still large during those frames, then don't expect the sim time to be reduced at that moment.

5 hours ago, Midasssilver said:

It sounds like you are saying that you have gaps in the source emissions, so you are wondering why the sim is still taking a long during that time. It's probably a combination of your dissipation value, and where density is still being calculated in your fluid container. If your container is dynamically scaled according to the density it finds, and is still large during those frames, then don't expect the sim time to be reduced at that moment.

Does this mean be more aggressive with the dissipation and up the threshold on the resize field?

Thanks!

Between the two I would not increase the density threshold on the resize field node.

In the final render if the value of density assigned as threshold appears as something visible, you will see the volume bounds reducing their size. Of course is also possible to cheat in the volume shader by clipping/remapping the density to this threshold but this also means that you have to carry one problem during the project. 

Increasing the dissipation would change a little bit the appearance of what you have right now but I think it's the cleanest way between the two.