Dominos

Pearl

I was learning DOPs and decided to try to make dominos.

They turned out OK, but the simulation took me 3 days!!!

JUNE 12 (fixed lighting & rendering)

dominos2.jpg

http://www.pearlhsu.net/videos/pearl-dominos360.mov

JUNE 6

dominos.jpg

http://www.pearlhsu.net/videos/pearl-dominos320.mov

It's very dark right now. Surprisingly, the rendering is really fast, so I will fix this when I learn about rendering. :)

OH! Just realized someone else is also doing dominos. (http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4151) Looks like I should go back and re-simulate! There are some great tips there!

Thanks for the links, Jason. Onto rendering I go!

I did the dominos with RBD Solver. I made them active when the rotation is > 5 and < 60. I thought that would help with the simuation time, but it was still a long long wait. However, turning them off made sure that they didn't fly off. :P

I wanted to try grouping them and having a subset of the dominos affect each other instead of everything that's active. (I have 2500 dominos, so at the highest I had about 1500 active objects :blink: ) I didn't know how to group it properly though, so I still have to go back and play with that.

Thanks for the links, Jason.  Onto rendering I go!

I did the dominos with RBD Solver.  I made them active when the rotation is > 5 and < 60.  I thought that would help with the simuation time, but it was still a long long wait.  However, turning them off made sure that they didn't fly off.  :P

I wanted to try grouping them and having a subset of the dominos affect each other instead of everything that's active.  (I have 2500 dominos, so at the highest I had about 1500 active objects  :blink: )  I didn't know how to group it properly though, so I still have to go back and play with that.

28369[/snapback]

Thanks for the info :)

Have you tried the 8.1 AutoFreeze DOP capabilities? That, or the ODE solver should speed up simple box collisions a huge amount. The RBD Solver can just as easily simulate Stanford Bunnies smashing into each other as boxes. It has no specific acceleration for primitives.

Hey Pearl..

I think it looks really nice. Maybe its just too early on monday morning, but how the hell did you get the logo to appear correct across all the dominos? My fist guess was a light mask, but after looking again, seems to be more than that :).. Seems to be a great exercise to learn DOP's..my first try at dominos proved they arent as easy as I origionally thought :ph34r:

hey pearl

you have some serious dominos falling there, never quiet got to the grouping of dops.

by heres my attempt, and a bit thanks to craig (the autofreeze really worked)

dominos

interms of how i did this, it was 30% chops and the rest dops.

:blink:

Oh wow, aracid, your dominos are awesome! Did that take long to simulate and render? I love what you did with them.

Overload: I know how you feel. Monday mornings are hard. My dominos are polys, so I grouped all the front faces and put the rest in another group. Then I did a y-axis texture projection down on the front face group and assigned colors based on the image I had in COPs. I used this expression:

pic("/img/img1/IMAGE_OUT", $MAPU, $MAPV, D_CR) .. with D_CG and D_CB where needed... in a Primitive SOP.

Then I appended a Shader SOP to bring out the colors (even though I don't really know WHY we have to do this to bring out the colors :unsure: )

Hope that helps!

And thanks for the feedback, LEO-oo-!

Did that take long to simulate and render?  I love what you did with them.

hey thanks,

dude thats some heavy dynamics u got there.

to answer ur question...

the wide shots where "animated" with chops, filtering the direction of the normals, and copying boxes onto the curves points (in almost realtime),

i used chops and simple curves to copy the dominos onto so clients could direct the exact speed layout of things, so in the first couple of days, we had a commercial with the exact speed we needed the dominos to fall. using rbd point object, the copy sop could almost be replaced by the dop network.

we could then match our dynamics to the previs speed and the close ups were really quick actually using dops, (not enough for a cofffee break).

in terms of rendering, that took a while because we tweaked the crap out of it in nuke (and eventually in flame with client), so we had plenty of passes.

im not good at optimizing renders, but i can say that it varied from 15 sec for the spec pass to 1-2 min for the ambient occlusion, with about 10-18 layers- for the medium - close ups, depending on what you saw.

we used nukes DOF, and just rendered out zdepth channels from houdini.

heres another wip, from when we pitched for the job, aimed to match some getty images reference they sent us. notice how it was pre-dops autofreeze ;)

poc

:blink: