render volume in mantra in short time

Hello guys!

Can I ask U question, Im very new in houdini. Can u help me please? Im trying to render short video of volume (smoke) in matra, but I really do not know how to set the mantra settings, because one frame is mantra creating for 43 minutes, which is rediculously long time for 250 frames. can U help me, with settings? I already increased the Volume step size, but thats all what I did, (I read somewhere its helpfull) is there any other way, how to make render time (per frame) shorter? Thanks a lot for any advices!

Im looking forward to your re´s!

By!

advice.png

advice.hip

- if you want faster render times you should reduce the volume step rate and shadow step rate, not to increase it. i'd start with value of 0.3 for start and you'll see where it gets you. it basically reduces a resolution of your volume object at render time but in many cases it's perfectly ok and it doesn't decrease a visual appearance in any significant way. depends on your particular scene thou. if it starts to look like crap, you've gone too low with it. 

- check the Limits tab on ROP - this can impact rendering volumes significantly too, especially if you compute an indirect bounce on volumes (volume limit > 0).

- Stochastic samples (  that are used for transparency sampling), can make a big difference in how clean the volume renders, especially with low density volumes like fog, etc. sometimes you have to go quite high with it - like 64 or so. if increasing the value doesn't seem to do anything, check if there isn't a material override (some volume material present have that).

- as somebody before pointed out, if you don't need to raytrace, render with micropolygon - that's really fast for volumes. 

- if you need to raytrace, you may want to switch your render engine to Raytrace instead of pbr. at some cases i've seen better performance with almost the same visual output (especially if you render with motion blur).

Edited by davpe
  • Like 1

You can frequently get away with smaller light sources too, using larger area lights or domes will increase noise. Point / spot / distant lights will render fastest. And definitely keep Volume limit at 0.

If ( if ) you can do your D.o.f. in post, that would help a lot too.