Is this even possible? (HDA Question)

Hello,

Is it possible to take a finalized asset in Maya, say.. a house. Break it apart, and then use those pieces in Houdini to create a procedural HDA in order to make many variations of that house back in Maya? Or would you have to build the house from scratch in Houdini? Model, UV, etc.

Let me know, thanks!

This is just my opinion from my limited knowledge, but I would say you would not be able to create an asset with fully procedural controls. You might be able to make it procedural to a certain extent. When you design something procedurally you are executing a carefully planned set of nodes all the way from the top to the bottom, often starting from points or lines. If you are starting with a pre-made asset it seems you would be losing a lot of control you would gain from the inital nodes you would typically use.  Hopefully someone else who has more experience than me can weight in. 

Edited by ejr32123

You could start with pre built elements, walls, windows, chimney, doors and integrate those into your procedural setup.

Personally I would take that a step further and use those geometries only as a template and rebuild them in Houdini and give myself a clean slate to better build it procedurally.

• Like 1