render view with logarithmic compression / tone mapped

Is it possible to show my render with a logarithmic compression directly in the render view ? For balancing lights I like it to check my renders with some color mapping applied to see better how it will look in compositing. In Vray e.g. you can directly color map the image ( Im just talking about color mapping the values while still have linear data ) 

I thought about creating a LUT for that in cops, and use that in the render view, but unfortunately i can´t create a LUT from a vopcop filter. Only from color correction operators. 

Is there something what I am missing or does someone have a idea how to achieve that? 

Thank you.

Jon

This is the linear render. The second picture shows the compressed image and how I want to see it in the render view. 

logarithmicCompress.thumb.JPG.2abee2187bd36e47df33eb601c8d323c.JPG

unfortunately you ( or just me )  cant convert this vopcop filter with softClip inside to LUT....

image.png.018a19b7f111225c050c3976118060c6.png

Edited by jon3de

I'm running Houdini with ACES config, and using Redshift for my viewer.  With the Redshift viewer, you're able to apply different LUTs pretty easily, so I haven't played around too much with configuring Houdini for a specific LUT.

I did stumble upon the link below, and sounds like you can apply LUTs directly in Houdini.  You'll have to grab a lin2log.lut or whichever you want to use, then apply it under Edit->Color Settings->Color Correction.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/composite/luts.htm

Hey Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I could also choose a lut directly in the render view. That was my attempt to create a lin2log.lut in a vopcop and convert this to a lut but conversion to lut from vopcop is not possible unfortunately. Only from pixel operators. 

Do you know where to buy/download a pure lin2log.lut ?  Somehow it´s not that easy to find one :) 

• 2 weeks later...