DOPNet or not ?

CinnamonMetal

I have a general question about vellum_grains. When using a POP Net to drive particles, you don't need a DOPNet if you want to control vellum grains strictly in POPs and if you want to strictly use a DOPNet rather then using Vellum in SOPs . You only need a vellum_constraints_grain SOP, correct ? 

Your first post is not really clear. DOPs and POPNets are the same thing, just a POPNet describes a DOP with a POP solver inside.

As we have seen we can initialize vellum constraints in SOPs or we can create the vellum constraints during the simulation for specific behaviours.

Yes you can create constraints just in the DOP Network but if you mean emitting particles using a POP solver, assign vellum constraints and expect them to be grains it will not work. I have never tried but I think you need to assign to the particles certain attributes like @isgrain to make them work.

As seen in the tutorial I posted.  Can I setup vellum constraints strictly within a DOPNetwork, and only setup vellumconstraints_grain in SOPs ? 

I have a DOPNetwork and within this DOPNetwork 

VellumObject

|

VellumSolver

|

Output

My particles display as grains that is because of the vellumconstraints_grain SOPs but I don't think, unless I'm wrong; my DOPNetwork is doing anything ?

If you look at the grain's constraints in the second output of vellum configure grains SOP you can see that they are just points with a position information, and makes sense since it's based on a point method. So if you have setup everything correctly previously you don't need to do anything more complex than that.

4 hours ago, Andrea said:

If you look at the grain's constraints in the second output of vellum configure grains SOP you can see that they are just points with a position information, and makes sense since it's based on a point method. So if you have setup everything correctly previously you don't need to do anything more complex than that.

In other words, no need for a DOPNetwork, simply the vellum configure grains SOP, thanks :) 

I was thinking I needed DOPNetwork with a Vellum Object and Solver to tell which object is the object which is emitting the grains, even though the grains are using points (POPNet)