Volcano wip

DonRomano

Heyy guys, 

Here's a wip of a volcano with Redshift. I've made the trees with a custom generator in houdini, the terrain is made with heighfields, and textures/leaves/grass is quixel. Next step is the simulations :D 

(this is not the final lighting, and of course not the final background :ph34r:)

Feedback is welcome 

test_03_lowrez.thumb.jpg.ce54065f69835fc4beac5c5484140bcb.jpg

Cheeers,

Edited by DonRomano

7 hours ago, DonRomano said:

Tell me what you think of it !

First of all, good job.
But what troubles me is the shape of the volcano. May be it's intentional but this shape kind of "pain de sucre" is not realistic. The curvature of a volcano is in the other direction and they are much flatter. at most it forms a perfect triangle.
Maybe that's why it appear small for a volvano in the scene.

Edited by flcc

4 hours ago, flcc said:

First of all, good job.
But what troubles me is the shape of the volcano. May be it's intentional but this shape kind of "pain de sucre" is not realistic. The curvature of a volcano is in the other direction and they are much flatter. at most it forms a perfect triangle.
Maybe that's why it appear small for a volvano in the scene.

Yeah I understand what you mean ! I'll try to change the shape, and scale down the trees so the volcano will have a more realistic scale ! Thank you !

• 2 weeks later...

The volcano shape is far better. And the smoke is beautiful.
But at this point it is difficult to give an opinion without knowing what you want to achieve.
A simulation and just a cool render of this simulation.
A realistic image, an illustrative image ?
Do you intend to do color grading ?
Because the lighting seems a bit strange to me. It's probably because of the foreground. The grass is both too dark and green while the smoke lightning is white and strong.
From an "artistic" point of view just crop the bottom with the grass, and strengthen the red lava lighning
This will give a more interesting and mysterious picture IMO.

But if you rework the foreground it's another story.
It's endless :lol:

8 hours ago, flcc said:

The volcano shape is far better. And the smoke is beautiful.
But at this point it is difficult to give an opinion without knowing what you want to achieve.
A simulation and just a cool render of this simulation.
A realistic image, an illustrative image ?
Do you intend to do color grading ?
Because the lighting seems a bit strange to me. It's probably because of the foreground. The grass is both too dark and green while the smoke lightning is white and strong.
From an "artistic" point of view just crop the bottom with the grass, and strengthen the red lava lighning
This will give a more interesting and mysterious picture IMO.

But if you rework the foreground it's another story.
It's endless :lol:

Yeah I see what you mean ! I have an idea of what I want, I just wanted to show the new shape of the volcano to get feedback on it, as the previous one wasn't that realistic !

I'll show more soon ! 

Cheers, 

Yes, the atmosphere is here now !

By the way, I was surprised that by clicking on the image although it is not so much larger the quality is far much better.
On the thumbnail the smoke is totaly washed.

Edited by flcc

7 hours ago, flcc said:

Yes, the atmosphere is here now !

By the way, I was surprised that by clicking on the image although it is not so much larger the quality is far much better.
On the thumbnail the smoke is totaly washed.

Yeah seems like I can't upload 4K images on here, so I have to lower the resolution to be able to upload it.

Here's the 4K image :

78234968-557882864781260-539034249231282

• Like 2