Random File to Point

Hey guys, new user here.

I have a folder of objects built and exported from Houdini, and a bunch if random points scattered on a surface. I'd like to copy a different file to each point based on an index attr.

I've gotten it to work using packed disk prims but not as full geo. The issue with packed disk prims is I loose all the existing attrs and groups in the files.

Perhaps I'm going about this all wrong because it seems like there should be a simple solution. Any help you guys can give would be thrilling!

Packed Disk or Packed Disk Sequence primitives (or packed Alembic) are the way to go, the attributes are not lost, they are just packed inside, renderer will be able to use them for shading

if you need them inside Houdini, just unpack your geo, however that can get heavy

Edited by anim

18 hours ago, anim said:

Packed Disk or Packed Disk Sequence primitives (or packed Alembic) are the way to go, the attributes are not lost, they are just packed inside, renderer will be able to use them for shading

if you need them inside Houdini, just unpack your geo, however that can get heavy

Amazing, I'll have to do more in depth research into packed prims and how to use them effectively, as i clearly didn't understand them. 

Looks like Arnold can even read the hidden attrs on them, just prim groups and material assigning causing me trouble. But looks like unpacking solves that and in this case im only dealing with a few mill prims so should be good.

Thanks very much for the help!