How to approach Flour in Houdini

scaduxx

Greetings, 

I'm trying to achieve something like this https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-24306053-slow-motion-falling-eggs-into-flour-stock

Forget about the eggs, generally I'd like to simulate a collision on a dust / powder like flour.

First of all, how should I approach this effect?  Particles or Grains? And if I choose Grains, should I use the normal Grain Solver or the Vellum one?
On the picture below I have a setup that I used the standard Grain Solver, and 2 RBD object, on is the static plate, and the other one is the moving ball.

I encounter many problems like the ball bouncing really hard on the flour, instead of just landing, and if I change the RBD Solver priority in the Merge, then the Grain collide merely good with the ball but they pass through the plate. So basically the Solver can't read both the RBD objects correctly.

Also, after all, I need to use a custom Force to "Explode" some Grains in the air, because it seems impossible to happen with just the ball collision.

Thank you in Advance !!

grains.jpg

"Grain Solver or the Vellum one?" 
if you have a good GPU go for vellum, if not, grains is still a solid option.

"Also, after all, I need to use a custom Force to "Explode" some Grains in the air, because it seems impossible to happen with just the ball collision."
True, this is the way

You need a mid-res grain simulation with decent motion + upresing on top of it + additional particles simulation.

• 5 months later...