resample curve segment sweep problem

rbesca

hey i'm having trouble sweeping a circle along a line. I'm trying to resample a subsection to save polys but I can't figure out how to join / fuse the lines together for the sweep to work. 

pic1 is desired result (but not subdivided like crazy everywhere) pic3 is what I get currently.

edit2 just found convertline node, it fixes the sweep but I can't use scale ramp anymore

scene attached

edit: just noticed I hit a random button when taking a screenshot, the start frame range box turned orange and you can't type to search for nodes? not sure what happened there or how to revert it

image.png

image.png

image.png

resample_curvesection.hiplc

Edited by rbesca

because your lineS overlap and the point order are all out of whack when you start fusing...ie, the start/end don't match up in sequence rendering your fuse ineffective.

So to not overlap, REMOVE the middle bit, resample that then reinsert that into the orig geo that has been holed out...so there's no overlap....then sort...then bob's your uncle...

ps: you don't need to feed it a circle, Sweep gives you that...just use surface shape round tube

vu_resample_curvesection_fix.hiplc

Edited by Noobini
  • Thanks 1

thanks a lot noobini! I thought the fuse would get rid of the overlap since the points should be exactly on top of each other and then get fused into one but since they are different prims that doesnt work?

thx for the sweep tip :)

Edited by rbesca

11 minutes ago, rbesca said:

thanks a lot noobini! I thought the fuse would get rid of the overlap since the points should be exactly on top of each other and then get fused into one but since they are different prims that doesnt work?

thx for the sweep tip :)

don't think the fuse can cope in all situations.

or you could merge/sort...then add...which basically blows away everything and reconstructs the line from sorted points...i'll see if I can do your file using that route

very cool! @Noobini if you don't mind giving some advice, i'm currently trying to transform individual points on a curve and then use the distance between points to drive the length of some tubes. I'm using distancealonggeometry to get a dist attribute. how do I reference that in a parameter? is there a better way of doing this? 

right now I just copy to target points and divide by segments and offset by the disk extrude etc but I'd like to be able to move the disks up or down individually and everything else should follow. but since it's still the same curve I can't just divide by segments anymore to get correct length for the tubes so I need to reference distance between points instead, right?

distance.pngimage.thumb.png.15921359a373ce2cb6710d4b78c498c0.png

Edited by rbesca

haha fair enough, yeah I think I need to use one loop for the wiring. right now I just duplicate the loop for the scatter pairs I want to connect (progress the timeline to see the wires. also press 4 to go to the controller null, things might make slightly more sense then but maybe not lol)

but my question is basically how do I reference the dist I create with the node? promote it and read it in with some expression like detail() is used for reading in loop iterations?

Edited by rbesca

as an example...at your distancealonggeometry3...you have point 0 having dist 0.25 from 1, verify in spreadsheet.

Now put down a sphere, add a transform, in the transform, in the Y chanel put:

point("../distancealonggeometry3",0,"dist",0)

and you'll see the sphere being moved up by whatever dist is.

• Thanks 1