Stiffness, vellum vs wire solver

Skybar

I haven't used vellum much and I'm trying to simulate a tree with curves - but I'm having trouble making the curves stiff. The solution seems to be to increase the Substeps and/or Constraint Iterations on the vellum solver, but doing that it gets quite slow very fast. In the test here I don't have that many points but it plays at just 10 fps.

Comparing with the wire solver, where it's easy to get the stiffness without slowing down too much. In the test I get it stiffer than vellum and it still plays at 25 fps.

Am I missing something or does anyone have any ideas?

wirevellum.hip

• 1 year later...
On 31/01/2020 at 3:02 PM, ThomasPara said:

Its basicly stacked packed rbd primitives, connected with conetwist constraints. Then you transform/rebuild your curves based on thoose rbds. If you dont want destruction its pretty straight forward, if you want to break it or even want slow motion, its alot more. Heres a basic setup.

TreeRBD.gif

TreeSystem_rbd.hiplc

Hey @ThomasPara I was having a look at this scene but it’s got a few locked HDA’s in there that don’t come through, is there any chance you still have this file without those locked? I’m interested in breaking the tree too, which you mentioned is more involved any tips on how you achieved that?

• 9 months later...
On 01/02/2020 at 12:02 AM, ThomasPara said:

Its basicly stacked packed rbd primitives, connected with conetwist constraints. Then you transform/rebuild your curves based on thoose rbds. If you dont want destruction its pretty straight forward, if you want to break it or even want slow motion, its alot more. Heres a basic setup.

TreeRBD.gif

TreeSystem_rbd.hiplc

I'm having a similar question and found this post, this example is very helpful.

However, in my case, I'd like to simulate several units interacting with each other, each like a  "fur-ball" (a central core with a lot of (100-1000) branches) -- so in total there will be 10k branches or fibres.

Would this approach still be the best solution?