The Wisp V1.0 Vexpop Download

frankvw

Hi,

Anyone downloaded and got the Wisp :v1 vexpop to work from the codex downloads section? I tried it and it no workee. Before I start trying to pull it apart and have a look at it, just wondering if anyone had used this little tool before with results?

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Anyone downloaded and got the Wisp :v1 vexpop to work from the codex downloads section? I tried it and it no workee. Before I start trying to pull it apart and have a look at it, just wondering if anyone had used this little tool before with results?

Cheers,

i've used it before for some snow like ash.

i used it to kick up particles when objects collided with it, it worked out pretty well.

whats the problem using it. are you having trouble compiling it?

jeff

• 4 weeks later...
The built-in Turn POP does much the same thing now - you can use that instead :)

I much prefer the wisp POP. Th eguy eho made that is a bloody genius!

seriously though it gives a much nicer wispy effect than turn does.

I found the easiest way to get it going was to create a new otl and then dump the code from the source file onto the vex tab in type properties. job done POP compiled.

This is pretty cool. Took me awhile to figure out how to create a "WISP" POP operator :blink:

( -I created a new VEX particle operator in the VOP section, then RMB that operator and chose

"Create POP type from VOP network", then switched to POPS, and added my new operator, then used Type Properties / Vex Code to paste in the WISP code)

How would I attach / use geometry to the particle generator?

I tried

- specifying a SOP in the Input Geo tab of the Pop Merge SOp

- adding another SOP in the "Particles" SOP network and connecting it's output to the Pop Merge SOP

I'm going to dig into the 'Tiny' otl that was recently posted to see if I can find where the geometry is specified.

Mike

Attach geometry how? Source POP?

I'm not ASKING about the man on first .... :)

Well at this point in my (lack of knowledge), I don't have a preference, as to how the geometry is "attached", as I don't know enough about all the different options for generating particles .. particle SOP .. popnet .. embedded popnet .. source .. location .. yikes .. I read the excerpt from The Magic of Houdini book and have been looking through the docs for examples but they all seem to emit the default objects/geo .. whatever the term is.

I want the particle generator to emit multiple Beatrice's or rabbits or airplanes .. or whatever SOP I connect/attach .. whatever the correct term is :blink:

Mike

Ah, now I understand what you mean. I was confused by the methods you tried. :)

For some reason, I have this impression that other packages treat particles as some very special entity. Anyhow, in Houdini, the POPs just move points around (with geometry attribute data attached). So for small quantities of points (and/or light geometry), you can just directly use the Copy SOP to copy whatever geometry you want onto the positions of the points generated by the POP Network SOP (or POP Merge, or whatever point source) . For heavier stuff, I suggest using particle/point instancing.

References:

- Copy SOP in the online help, look at the examples. I'm also guessing the Magic of Houdini will cover this as well but I haven't looked.

- http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/InstancePOP

- Point instancing http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/MantraInstancing

Ah, now I understand what you mean. I was confused by the methods you tried. :)

For some reason, I have this impression that other packages treat particles as some very special entity. Anyhow, in Houdini, the POPs just move points around (with geometry attribute data attached). So for small quantities of points (and/or light geometry), you can just directly use the Copy SOP to copy whatever geometry you want onto the positions of the points generated by the POP Network SOP (or POP Merge, or whatever point source) . For heavier stuff, I suggest using particle/point instancing.

References:

- Copy SOP in the online help, look at the examples. I'm also guessing the Magic of Houdini will cover this as well but I haven't looked.

- http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/InstancePOP

- Point instancing http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/MantraInstancing

Ok, thanks for the info, that gives me some more things to check.

Mike

I have just added an HDA to the Exchange inspired in the Wisp operator developed by Ivan DeWolf.

It has many other noise types and parameters to control the noise itself and how it affect to motion.

It could be useful for anybody trying to make wisp like effects.

It is here:

http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/info.php?fi...p;versionid=331