Using hou.nodeType without "fully qualified" names

jamesr

Using instances() with hou.nodeType() to grab node instances is really nice. Does anyone know a way to grab all the instances for an operator type with a version string in the operator type name? ie.

jamesr::myasset::2.00

Since the version is in the type name itself, it seems like you have to specify the version as well in order for it to work, ie

hou.nodeType("jamesr::Object/myasset::2.00")

instead of just

hou.nodeType("jamesr::Object/myasset")

I was hoping there must be, since you can create nodes without specifying the version like

hou.node("/obj").createNode("jamesr::myasset")

I've tried using hou.preferredNodeType(), but it still seems to required the version string  as well. When testing it on a builtin node who has multiple definitions including a version string like "rainbow" with

hou.preferredNodeType("Vop/rainbow")

it works fine. 

I could always use a  [x for x in hou.node("/obj").children() if "jamesr::myasset" in x.type().name()] type of thing, or get the node type from an existing node, but I was just wondering if it is possible this way.

If anyone has any relevant posts I might have missed that I could check out, that would be great too.

Thanks! 

Edited by jamesr