[SOLVED] Redshift nodes are "Invalid node type name"

Heyo guys (and gals),

I've run into a slight problem setting up my new workstation in that Redshift does not seem to be working properly.
I am able to search for all the Redshift nodes in Houdini and even place down some of them (mainly the Redshift IPR node in ROPS) but for the wast majority I get this kind of error:

The attempted operation failed.
Invalid node type name

Traceback (most recent call last):File "Redshift", line 1, in <module>
File "/opt/hfs17.5.460/houdini/python2.7libs/roptoolutils.py", line 9, in createRenderNoderop = hou.node('/out').createNode(rop_type, exact_type_name=True)
File "/opt/hfs17.5.460/houdini/python2.7libs/houpythonportion/ui.py", line 850, in decoratorreturn func(args, kwargs)
File "/opt/hfs17.5.460/houdini/python2.7libs/hou.py", line 8586, in createNodereturn _hou.Node_createNode(args, kwargs)
OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.Invalid node type name

So seems to me like Houdini has access to create the nodes but is missing the definition for the nodes (in laments terms).

Anyone encountered something like this before and have some advice on how I can fix it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the read!

Stay safe out there!

Are you installing Redshift to a custom location?  If so, you will need to add REDSHIFT_COREDATAPATH path into your houdini.env file, and point it to the root directory of your Redshift version.

ex.  REDSHIFT_COREDATAPATH = "C:/ProgramData/Redshift_v3.0.17"

Edited by Howitzer99
spelling, because lack of coffee, ugh.

11 minutes ago, Howitzer99 said:

Are you installing Redshift to a custom location?  If so, you will need to add REDSHIFT_COREDATAPATH path into your houdini.env file, and point it to the root directory of your Redshift version.

ex.  REDSHIFT_COREDATAPATH = "C:/ProgramData/Redshift_v3.0.17"

Heyo, I realize my original post is way to sparse so I'll elaborate more:

Issue is as described in the original post.
Running on a Linux machine, Ubuntu 18.04, launching houdini with a custom runscript that should add the REDSHIFT_COREDATAPATH aswell as the REDSHIFT_LICENSE to the instance I am launching.

Problem turned out to be my in-expirience and lack of knowledge regarding how Linux systems work in general aswell as not paying close enough attention to the error messages in the terminal I was launching Houdini from.

Essentially I have all the license files etc for Redshift on a SMB network share that I have mounted on my machine. The problem was that when I transfered the redshift files onto the share I destroyed all of symlink files that houdini apparently uses under the hood to make redshift work (for the uninitiated , like I was a few hours ago, a symlink is kinda like a shortcut for a file in windows. Programs can call that shortcut and get direct access to the file itself. This is very much so a laments terms explanation.)

Apparently by copying the files over via command line with some extra flags you can make it work. TBH I don't entierly know why it works now since there are still no symlink files on my server, but the nodes plonk down just fine inside Houdini so I am not going to touch anything else xD

Thanks for the reply! Sorry for stirring up stuff.

• underscoreus changed the title to [SOLVED] Redshift nodes are "Invalid node type name"