How to make collar using Vellum?

Zigmund

Hi everybody!

I'm trying to model a polo t-shirt, I got stuck with making proper collar.

testCollar.jpg.aa0019b05dc1f4e57f9c880f2fb5b872.jpgPoloCollar.thumb.jpg.fcd069e9cce4b274d082376e2dd3c725.jpg

As you can see on the picture, the collar doesn't bend in the right way. Lowering bend constraint doesn't help, as doesn't help increasing resolution, constraint iterations or substeps. I'm also trying to stitch some points on the collar to the body part to force collar bend in the right way, yet it doesn't help. So I've got lost.

I'm trying to make a hangers with cloth on it. And although Vellum works pretty good in modeling cloth (thnks to Sara Rascon's and John Lynch's masterclasses), I don't know how to force to fold collar in the proper way or in general how to art direct folds.

I have made and attached a simple example. testCollar.hipnc

What is the general workflow in making collars? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Hi, 
I think unchecking 'add bend across welds' on the vellumDrape is definitely helping because it allows the seams to fold freely. If you do not uncheck it, it'll create a bend constraint across the seam.image.png.4c47a7ef836ee1ce7128eaca74ba7b7a.png

The second thing I think might work is to make the shape of the patch as close to the real-life sewing pattern as possible. The shape of the collar stripe you have will not fold nicely along the neck. I raise the neckline of the back so it is closer to what it is in real life.

The third thing is to increase the resolution of the cloth. The reason lowering bend constraint doesn't help is because the problem is related to topology or resolution instead of the stiffness of the bend constraint. Increasing the resolution will make it more flexible.

image.png.57f3d57d6550169945f92e47ea19ed33.png

testCollar_01.hipnc

There is a tutorial about folding vellum along a curve, but it is way complicated.

I hope it helps! But maybe model the collar directly will be much easier.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, eat ramen!

Unchecking 'add bend across welds' did help a lot, and maybe you are right, the main reason of this problem is that the shape of neck is not realistic.. so i changed it, and now everything works great!

I have also increased a bit the resolution, but i should be careful with this, as i'm going to have a lot of cloth hanging on the hangers and simulate them.. 

In addition I have added a seam in the middle of the collar patch and stitched it with base of collar, while setting low stiffness of stitch constraint. Just to be sure it wont go away:))

Thanks a lot again!

Directly modeling would be too easy and not interesting:))