"tiny"

B.Walters

For the past week I've been working on a project I've unofficially titled "Tiny" (a play on Massive). In short, two (or more) teams of 'spaceships' fly around and shoot each other up. All-in-all it's been a study of A.I. and POP-VOPS(I just started playing around in VOP Networks last week - thanks to Johnny of DD).

Take a peak: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~bwalte21/tiny01.mov

In the end you'll notice a handful of the spaceships go flying off into oblivion. That's because there are still quite a few quirks in the A.I. about target selecting, which I intend to hammer out tomorrow.

I plan to release this .hip file for public viewing soon, I just want to clean it up a little bit before-hand.

Comments, suggestions, unrelated stories, jokes, and critiques are all welcome.

[EDIT 10-17-06]: Here's the Tiny HDA / OTL: tiny.otl

• 2 weeks later...
Nice, i'm a beginner still at houdini, but this looks like stuff that i want to learn (the reason i wanted to learn houdini is because of the sample chapter from the art of houdini, that's about particles..)..

thanks for posting this up, will be much to learn from this.

Thank you very much. I'll be sure to let you know once I finally clean this file up a bit more and hopefully release it as a digital asset + an example .hip file. In the mean time, I've included an additional movie to help feed your appetite. Also, if you're anywhere near Los Angeles, there's a 1-day, intro to particles course being offered at Side Effects next weekend. You can read more about it at www.sidefx.com

tiny02.mov

I haven't had too much time in past two weeks to work on this, but things are settling down and I should be able to work on it a lot more this weekend / next week. However, I have managed to drastically improve the artificial intelligence for target identification/selection. Each ship is now much more likely to choose a ship thats infront of it and/or close by, rather than one far away, behind it, or off to the side (plus a little randomness, didn't want it too perfect).

I hope you all enjoy, and please, criticism!!!! (The constructive kind would be preferred) And/or suggestions would be nice (what else would you like to see it do? E.g. "homing missiles", or better looking models, or hurry up and make a HDA, etc.)

For the past week I've been working on a project I've unofficially titled "Tiny" (a play on Massive). In short, two (or more) teams of 'spaceships' fly around and shoot each other up. All-in-all it's been a study of A.I. and POP-VOPS(I just started playing around in VOP Networks last week - thanks to Johnny of DD).

Take a peak: http://studentpages.scad.edu/~bwalte21/tiny01.mov

In the end you'll notice a handful of the spaceships go flying off into oblivion. That's because there are still quite a few quirks in the A.I. about target selecting, which I intend to hammer out tomorrow.

I plan to release this .hip file for public viewing soon, I just want to clean it up a little bit before-hand.

Comments, suggestions, unrelated stories, jokes, and critiques are all welcome.

Isn't this project like almost 2 years old.

Didi you not do this at scad and miss a project turn in with it?

Err... heh, who is this? And yes, I did do something *similar* to this back at SCAD. It was my first particles project ever (what got me hooked on Houdini!), but it didn't have teams, AI, or *anything* really, it was just randomness. I've been wanting to revisit this project and do it right ever since then. I just haven't know 'how' to do it right until recently. And now I'm back on it!

And I have no idea what you mean by missing a project turn in with it? I was an A++++ student! :lol: So really, who is this? How doest-thou knowest me!? You've rattled my brains.

I am just a color in this paint by number world.

Congrats on your move to Side Effects and good luck.

And who would give you crap from SCAD.

Is it really that difficult? B)

Do you think people like me change that much :blink:

Best of luck to you Brian.

we will work together one day.

I am just a color in this paint by number world.

Congrats on your move to Side Effects and good luck.

And who would give you crap from SCAD.

Is it really that difficult? B)

Do you think people like me change that much :blink:

Best of luck to you Brian.

we will work together one day.

I'm kinda curious who this is too....

:ph34r: