Can @group_NAMEOFGROUP be a variable?

ianwww

In a point wrangle I create a new group, say mynewgroup, and set membership of it based on some criterion.  Later in the wrangle I want to test for membership of that new group.  I can't use inpointgroup because that looks backward to the previous node, where the newly created group doesn't exist.  So, instead I use

if(@group_mynewgroup)
{
	WHATEVER
}

to test for a point's membership of the new group mynewgroup.  To use @group_ syntax I need to hard code the mynewgroup into it.

What if the name of the new group depends on the outcome of some code inside the wrangle so that I need to create the new group name on the fly?

I'd like to be able to use something like

string newgroup = concat('group_', 'mynewgroup');

if(@newgroup)
{
	WHATEVER
}

I know this particular code doesn't do it but is there something along these lines that I could use?

• 3 weeks later...

As well as setting up a group first time around, also declare a variable for you purpose to:

int result=0;

If(condition){

@group_grp=1;

result=1;

}

Later, in the wrangle:

if(result){

do something;

}

Thanks for the suggestion but - and I may be misunderstanding something - in your example wouldn't

if(@group_grp)

and

if(result)

be asking the same thing?  Both were manually set to 1 at the same time when condition was met, so result is just a mirror variable isn't it?

Also, I'd still need to hard code the name of @group_grp in advance of knowing what the name should be.

Sorry if I've misunderstood!