Houdini HF to UE4 resolution

sant0s81

Hi,

when creating a higher resolution HF and importing the HDA into UE4, the resolution of the Terrain in UE4 is 2160*2160.
The HF resoltution is 8k.

Is there a way, to increase the resolution in UE4?

Or do I have to split the HF into more parts to get better resolution in UE4 or something?

Thank you :)

A little update:

for now I just did it the classical way.
Creating a Cop2Net and baking out the 8k texture - that works.

But if there is a way to instantly import the HF HDA without baking, would save some time.

Hey guys,

I got an answer from SideFX:

Unreal has some specific size requirements for landscape that should be matched for the plugin to convert the HF properly.
Any difference in size may cause the created landscape to either be resized, or add extra padding data around the landscape.
The plugin will generally put a warning in the logs when a landscape was resized due to Unreal's requirements.

What actually matters is the actual point size of the HF (the number of points), not its metric size.
For 8k for example, you will want to make sure that your HF's grid spacing is set to 1, and the size set to 8129*8129.

That works perfect directly from the HDA without baking a height map.

Cheers :)

edit: here is the doc about that topic
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/unreal/_landscapes.html#LandscapeSize

Edited by sant0s81
  • Like 1

One more update and also questions:

I used the HF Tile Splitter to split the HF in 16 tiles to get each tile with as much resolution as possible.
That works awesome. But I have to create a subnetwork to make it work, duplicate each HF Geometry and than choose in the HF Splitter the 16 different tiles for each Geometry.

Is it possible to avoid that I have to put the HF in a Subnet / new geometry?

If not - how could I automaticly add to each new tiled HF +1 to the "tile number" instead of adding the 0,1,2,3...15 for each tile by hand?
And can i delete the not used Hightfields tiles?
Right now I have the feeling, its loading 16 times the hole HF what is extremly intensive.

Anyway, I am glad I canuse a 30k HF inside UE4 - and UE4 is eating that like nothing :)

image.thumb.png.d825d0cba3361a40a394dddde0b6226e.png

Edited by sant0s81

On 7.7.2020 at 9:30 PM, sant0s81 said:

If not - how could I automaticly add to each new tiled HF +1 to the "tile number" instead of adding the 0,1,2,3...15 for each tile by hand?

Update:

opdigits(".")-1

Cheers :)

Edited by sant0s81
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing your discoveries and solutions while troubleshooting this problem, sant0s81! 

It seems like an issue the rest of us were unable to help with, but your posts will no doubt be very helpful to anyone else that finds themselves with the same issue in days/months/years ahead, so many thanks for sharing the knowledge and helping keep odforce the amazing community it is 

• Like 1