Combine Multiple Primitives As One Primitive [SOLVED]

GlennimusPrime

Say I have 50 primitive lines I want to export as an Alembic file.

These 50 primitives are named with 5 different groups of @name attributes.

When I export these lines to Maya as an Alembic, I get 50 objects.

Is there a way I can combine all 50 lines into combined objects using the @name attribute as the object name?

I've given a few things a go, like fuse, polypath, assemble... Some with more luck than others, but not working how I would expect (without joining the lines together at each end)

Simple test scene attached.

Combined_Curves.hip

Edited by GlennimusPrime

Also keep in mind that Maya natively can't store more than 1 curve per shape node, at least it wasn't able to

So even with the same path, you will get 1 transform object in Maya and 50 shape nodes underneath at best

Of course loading it directly as a proxy or may be a better way if you are rendering them directly, or xgen may have some workaround these days

On 7/10/2020 at 12:58 AM, vicvvsh said:

Is "Build Hierarchy From Attribute" with parameter "Path Attribute" as "name" not working?

Actually that is working for me in this scene thanks vicvvsh. Unfortunately this was just a quick scene I put together as an example. I am not having such luck in my more complex shot. I will look more into this.

On 7/10/2020 at 5:42 AM, anim said:

Also keep in mind that Maya natively can't store more than 1 curve per shape node, at least it wasn't able to

It seems using vicvvsh's technique does the trick, even with multiple curves. Each @name comes in as one object into Maya.

13 hours ago, GlennimusPrime said:
On 7/9/2020 at 1:42 PM, anim said:

It seems using vicvvsh's technique does the trick, even with multiple curves. Each @name comes in as one object into Maya.

right, but are you saying that if you display Shape nodes in the outliner and expand the object it contains just one Shape even if more curves were exported for that object? As I said Maya didn't used to be able to have multiple curves in one Shape node, but that could have changed as I haven't used Maya for quite some time

6 hours ago, anim said:

right, but are you saying that if you display Shape nodes in the outliner and expand the object it contains just one Shape even if more curves were exported for that object? As I said Maya didn't used to be able to have multiple curves in one Shape node, but that could have changed as I haven't used Maya for quite some time

Yes, they come in as one shape. There has always been a little mel script that could do this for you, but I'm not sure if it was ever available in any of the menus. Possibly. I haven't done it in a few years.