Linux at D2 article

michael

I'm glad people are finally working on some decent 2D painting packages. Because I myself find The GIMP pretty limiting aswell...

Although Linux supports popular 3-D packages such as Houdini and Maya, Crow says she feels frustrated by a dearth of Linux paint packages. ``There's a depth to Photoshop that Film GIMP doesn't have. Film GIMP isn't mature enough.'' Crow says a promising development is Amazon16, a 16-bit paint package that maker Interactive Effects is porting to Linux. Amazon has a long history on IRIX. ``It was layer-based before Photoshop, supports user-defined macros, provides 3-D texture paint capabilities, and most importantly, supports HDR formats like Cineon that are critical for film work'', says Crow. ``Another promising development is the 32-bit Linux paint package Photogenics by Idruna, currently in beta.''

@MG:

I had Photogenics in review on Windows, Linux and Amiga (the older version - not the new HDR-version) - it is a nice package. Take a look at the website of Irduna - they offer a demo. There is also a version of PhotoPaint for Linux by Corel. Maybe this helps?

LEO

Thanks Leo for the links and information!

I must say, it looks all pretty promising. 32-bits per channel, that's quite something. While I thought the max was 16 or so (!)

One con though is that 32-bits p/channel images will result in huge file sizes (right?). Also, I've noticed that there's an Amiga version. Which is interesting. Amiga seems to be climbining back up into the industry!

And PhotoPaint for Linux? Well, wow! I never knew about that. By the way, I thought Corel went out of business. (At least, with it's Linux product line).

@MG:

>One con though is that 32-bits p/channel images will result in huge file sizes (right?).

I had only the old version - time to order HDR? :D

>Also, I've noticed that there's an Amiga version. Which is interesting.

Oh the Amiga-version isnt HDR - it is the old one. I dont thing Paul have an update for Amiga.

>Amiga seems to be climbining back up into the industry!

mmm there are the announcements for the new Amiga and the Pegasos. Some software is there too, but it will be a hard way...

>And PhotoPaint for Linux? Well, wow! I never knew about that. By the way, I thought Corel went out of business. (At least, with it's Linux product line).

There was "Corel Draw Suite 9" for Linux - there are no difference to the WIN-version. BTW: Photopaint for Linux is free for download! :rolleyes:

Go here and get your copy. Informations about the complete suite with all the other tools are also there.

Have fun LEO

Heh, sounds pretty cool. Who knows, Amiga might make a fair chance of coming back in the industry. Then they'll teach Micro$oft and Apple a lesson :)

And thanks for the link! (for the PhotoPaint download). I'm going to download it later!

And PhotoPaint for Linux? Well, wow! I never knew about that. By the way, I thought Corel went out of business.

If they have it for free on Linux, un-crippled, then it will be darn worth it to install Linux. As far as I can tell back when I was using PhotoPaint 7, it offered all the capabilities of Photoshop 3 although it was a tad slower. (ok, so I'm biased because I interned at Corel :)

Yeah, PhotoPaint is free now, you can DL it for Linux. One thing though. I think it uses WINE, it runs pretty slow, even one a 1.5 Ghz machine. Not unusable slow, just a bit laggy. I just don't understand why Adobe supported Irix for so long, and they are totally resistant to Linux. You'd think it'd be a pretty easy port.

From the article. I missed this the first time...

Taylor says Linux, Windows and IRIX versions (NUKE) will be available in early 2003. There are no plans yet for Mac OS X. Pricing starts under $10K US, which is comparable to Shake. For students, there will be a free-of-charge or inexpensive version, comparable to the apprentice versions of Maya and Houdini.

That's fan-freakin'-tastic. I sure am enjoying this new-found altruism amongst High End software developers. :D

@Mcronin:

>One thing though. I think it uses WINE, it runs pretty slow, even one a 1.5 Ghz machine. Not unusable slow, just a bit laggy.

I had it on a P3-500MHz-box (2 years ago) and I was quiet happy with it. But is there are not a similar problem with the windows-version? B)

>I just don't understand why Adobe supported Irix for so long, and they are totally resistant to Linux.

They had to bad experiences with PageMaker on Linux? Maybe there will be a PS-port - as a result of the MacOSX-version.

I don't know how well Photopaint runs on Windows, I only used it on Linux. I wasn't real happy with the performance of Photopaint on Linux, but it felt more familiar than GIMP. Like I said it's usable, just not real responsive. It could be something wrong with my computer's config as I've only been really using Linux for a matter of about 5 months. Add to that I can't for the life of me figure out how to get pressure working properly on my tablet in Linux. As a result, I'm still doing most of my painting in Win 2000 using PS or Film FX or any of the myriad of other Paint packages available.

Same here. I still prefer Painter and Photoshop, which are unfortunately Windoze-only, over The GIMP and such.

I use Houdini, Blender and LightWave (* this one, via WINE *) under Linux, which all seem to work great! All 3D packages.

Now the Linux community should focus on painting solutions. Packages like The GIMP and the (rather cool) FilmGimp are very nice so far, but still for the more serious work people go for IRIX and/or Windows 2000.

I wasnt this happy with Photopaint 9 under Windows too - now with version 11 it seems better - but in the end I use PS or PSP.

A tablet on a linux-system - no idea about. I was allways to lazy to figure this out (to be honest). I have only this links:

First Linux: Wacom

Graphire 2 under Linux

Icewalkers: Wacom Howto

I hope this helps

I have a baby wacom attached to my system running RH7.3, and I stuffed a couple of entries into /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and it works fine. Frankly, I've only used it for Photogenics since I just can't get the hang of a tablet in a 3d app. :)

Cheers,

J.C.

I have a baby wacom attached to my system running RH7.3, and I stuffed a couple of entries into /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and it works fine.  

Yeah, I've got my Wacom Intuos to work aswell in Linux. But currently I think the pressure only works in customized applications, such as The GIMP.

Frankly, I've only used it for Photogenics since I just can't get the hang of a tablet in a 3d app.  :)

Cheers,

J.C.

I know what you mean. But since the last two years I've been getting used to using a tablet more and more in combination with 3D software...

There are still some things in which I still prefer using a mouse though. But for most things, I find the tablet faster and quite pleasant to work with.

@MG:

I had my hands on the new Wacom Volito and after a while I have use it for navigation only. I think you are right - for some reasons are a tablet faster. But you need time to learn to use it. In the end I'm back to the mouse - seems more comfortable.