My First Modelling Project

brucelay

A good first start but...

Before you start modelling, you need a top-front-side view so you can pinpoint the fetures of the piece you are trying to model. You just can't dive in then "work-up" the polys. You'll spend too much time and end up with too many polys.

See my hip file and image. I found at least two features to highlight with bevels. I also had a stab at separating the windshield from the faring. As I said above, shooting in the dark and took me way too long to get to this point without top-front-side. Should have only been 10 minutes but took half an hour. You owe me 20 minutes. :P

post-371-1162127443_thumb.jpg

fairing.hip

There are some terrific resources on the web to learn how to model with sub-d's and poly cages.

Here is one I recommend if you want to get in to poly modelling:

http://www.abbys.hu/Tutorial-Boxmodeling/b...eling_a_car.pdf

There are metric tonnes more tutorials out there to model this stuff.

Here are some other modelling sites I frequent for modelling workflows/ideas:

CG Cars

Tweak Modelling forum

• Like 1

Old School

Thank you very very much! Thank you for your invaluable comments too! I really want to buy you a cup of coffee! :D Also, thank you for attaching your fantasic Houdini scene. You model just looks so professional! Thanks a lot! I cannot believe that it just took you less than an hour to get that thing done. However, thanks a lot!

bruce

A good first start but...

Before you start modelling, you need a top-front-side view so you can pinpoint the fetures of the piece you are trying to model. You just can't dive in then "work-up" the polys. You'll spend too much time and end up with too many polys.

See my hip file and image. I found at least two features to highlight with bevels. I also had a stab at separating the windshield from the faring. As I said above, shooting in the dark and took me way too long to get to this point without top-front-side. Should have only been 10 minutes but took half an hour. You owe me 20 minutes. :P

post-371-1162127443_thumb.jpg

fairing.hip

There are some terrific resources on the web to learn how to model with sub-d's and poly cages.

Here is one I recommend if you want to get in to poly modelling:

http://www.abbys.hu/Tutorial-Boxmodeling/b...eling_a_car.pdf

There are metric tonnes more tutorials out there to model this stuff.

Here are some other modelling sites I frequent for modelling workflows/ideas:

CG Cars

Tweak Modelling forum

hi there,

I just added 2 image planes for backgroud reference for the motorbike. But when I turn on smooth shade , I could not see the image. On the other hand, when I turned on wireframe, the image planes images disappeared. Could anyone give me suggestion of how I could have those image planes displayed properly while I am editing the points or the edges of the models?

thanks for your attention!

post-894-1162228808_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...