CHOPS vs VOP/VEX

rickvdvulkaan

Hello all!

I just started scratching the surface of houdini since a few weeks now using apprentice, considering indie eventually. I must say it's like discovering new worlds! really exiting stuff. i will mostly use it for motion graphics/vfx.

I got many many questions, but the one that's mostly on my mind at this point in time is related to chops and vop/vex. 

Do people use vops/vex entirely to ''replace'' chops? After seeing this tutorial: https://vimeo.com/159050313 , i was like, hey, i think that ''lag'' chop /wavy effect (@ 9:30)  could probably also be done in vops, right?

the reason why i'm wondering this is because if chops could be replaced by vops, it might be more efficient to focus on vops instead.. as there is so much to learn inside houdini. Or do people just use a healthy mix of both? I got the feeling that there are parts of houdini that are a little redundant as the development seems incredibly fast, and i'm wondering if this is the case for chops as well. 

haha, well that is the most important i guess!

okay, one more question then to finish my study-evening. couldn't really get this to work so far. i have 10 points side-by-side, attached a transform, and created a motion from far back in the scene, right up the nose of the camera. now i want to offset each point slightly in time so that they jump in one by one (eventually for procedural font/letters animations). when i create a channel sop, and a chop network, i get all the motion data from each point in the chop network. How can i offset each point individually? 

@rickvdvulkaan Here you have 141 Files ..
+ file TO have FUn(I have FUn )  + Advice Search Googla...You can Find Muchos FIles About Chops And Houdini ..

chops(2).rar

OFF.hiplc

1452222200124.gif

And you Have Music Tools with Endless Possibility

https://github.com/andrew-lowell/HMT

Edited by Librarian
  • Thanks 2

I don't understand the "VS" here. If Houdini offers many ways to reach your goal some are smarter than others. Chops are serving a different purpose than VEX or VOP. They are an old strange looking beast but still very powerful. I guess Sidefx will slowly replace it , like they did with Kinefx. If you need to work fast with motion and have a Visual graph representation, add delays, jiggle, smooth an animation, drive it by a sound or mouse channel input blabla, Chops will the person to talk with. You could add VEX code inside.

The reel question you should ask, is do you need to consider VOP if you feel fine with VEX?

Probably not much.

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts

http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas

1 hour ago, vinyvince said:

I don't understand the "VS" here. If Houdini offers many ways to reach your goal some are smarter than others. Chops are serving a different purpose than VEX or VOP. They are an old strange looking beast but still very powerful. I guess Sidefx will slowly replace it , like they did with Kinefx. If you need to work fast with motion and have a Visual graph representation, add delays, jiggle, smooth an animation, drive it by a sound or mouse channel input blabla, Chops will the person to talk with. You could add VEX code inside.

The reel question you should ask, is do you need to consider VOP if you feel fine with VEX?

Probably not much.

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts

http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas

Hi Vinyvince! Well, i understand your confusion in this ''vs''..  I'm not even sure what the reason is why i asked it this way. I guess because a lot of functions are overlapping, and everytime i watch a tutorial i can't help the feeling that i'm constantly thinking, hey, you could also do it this way, or that way. i guess i want to make sure that i'm not overlooking something obvious that would make particular workflows redundant. I can imagine that someone could say, hey, don't bother the chops, its fun, but you can be so much more efficient with -x- or -y-..  But i realize that would be nearly impossible since there are so many different people with different ways of working.

Houdini offers so many workflows, i have to say i'm slowly but surely getting familiar with the different networks so i got that going.. 

@ Librarian:

Those examples look amazing! Didn't find anything like that on youtube, or the sidefx tutorial section. Thanks for that.. can't wait to check them out, very helpful..

Already no regrets for taking the time to sign up here:D