Looking for somebody to make a custom exporter for the .vox format

Ballington

I'm looking for a programmer who is able to create a custom file exporter that is cable of turning geometry into a .vox file which is used in MagiaVoxel (https://ephtracy.github.io/)

Here is a github link from the creator of MagicaVoxel which has documentation on the file structure of .vox (https://github.com/ephtracy/voxel-model)

Currently the only thing that exists is a .vox file importer (https://github.com/ttvd/houdini-geo-vox) but it doesn't have any exporting capacity.

If you feel like you would be able to work on this project, please contact me.

Thank you,
Matthew

@Ballington I think somewhere in this link I saw something  about exporter and importer in Magic Voxel or Not ...Maybe I'm searching right know, Whats the benefits to have exporter if you can explain Please? ..If I can make abs everything in Houdini and I had Fun with Mvoxel you can import obj in box and do automatic re meshing revoxelishing in Magic voxel ,you only lose color Data ..plus you can have only regular pixel picture and make from that Model ...

Well the only real benefit is not so much getting them into MagicaVoxel, but recently a game called Teardown was released and it uses the .vox format for it's levels. I've been tempted to create levels for the game, but MagicaVoxel is a pretty horrendous tool for making stuff (it lacks way too many features and is generally annoying to use). I figure that Houdini is the best tool for it's obvious power plus it's a program I'm familiar with.

I don't have any experience in making something like this, nor would I know where to start, so I figure if somebody is able and willing to make an exporter I'd be happy to pay for them to do so.

One thing to note is I contacted the creator of the original importing tool to ask about whether an exporter is possible and he said this. I guess it can give more insight into what you'd need to do.

Yeah it's definitely possible but is more involved. Right now the GEO loader goes through a file SOP and it's not much of an issue for an import. For export, however, you'd need to have additional parameters specified (such as an LUT/MV palette) and sadly file SOP is not easily customizable. Writing either a new vox export SOP or even better, a ROP would probably be a correct way.

5 hours ago, Ballington said:

I figure that Houdini is the best tool for it's obvious power plus it's a program I'm familiar with.

What kind of geometry you want to export to .vox? Assuming you want to generate art-directed objects consisting of cubes with colours from a palette it seems Houdini's volumes don't fit as much as packed prims for example. I really don't know much about  voxelized art creation, so I might be off.

19 minutes ago, symek said:

What kind of geometry you want to export to .vox? Assuming you want to generate art-directed objects consisting of cubes with colours from a palette it seems Houdini's volumes don't fit as much as packed prims for example. I really don't know much about  voxelized art creation, so I might be off.

Pretty much just levels for the game TearDown. I'm restricted to using MagicaVoxel for creating stuff (there are hacky workaround tools but they are very limited) but I just want to use Houdini to create any level that I'm planning on making.

I understand that. The question is what kind of geometry on Houdini's side you're foreseeing as a good source of vox data. Volumes are direct representation of voxels in Houdini, but are hard to work with unlike, say, packed primes, which you can copy, scatter or model directly. This has important consideration for the exporter.

EDIT:

In other words, could you create an example scene with game-level (very simplistic), you'd like to see in .vox format?

On 11/28/2020 at 4:27 PM, symek said:

I understand that. The question is what kind of geometry on Houdini's side you're foreseeing as a good source of vox data. Volumes are direct representation of voxels in Houdini, but are hard to work with unlike, say, packed primes, which you can copy, scatter or model directly. This has important consideration for the exporter.

EDIT:

In other words, could you create an example scene with game-level (very simplistic), you'd like to see in .vox format?

Well I'm not entirely sure how exactly Houdini would export to vox. I'm currently working on a little house generator but I'm "future proofing" it depending on how the data is exported.

I noticed with the .vox importer that it loads a volume and by using a "points from volume" sop with a separation of 1, perfectly reproduces the location of each voxel. That's how I'm designing my system. In Houdini I'm making geometry, that, when fed into "points from volume" does a perfect recreation of the input geometry.

If it turns out that the exporter just uses a series of points I can just give it all the points from "points from volume" but if the exporter just uses geometry instead I'll just give it all the cubes instead.

Either way, I'd just design my entire scene in houdini out of cubes to "mimic" the placement of voxels from MagicaVoxel.

19 minutes ago, Ballington said:

Either way, I'd just design my entire scene in houdini out of cubes to "mimic" the placement of voxels from MagicaVoxel.

OK then. This is probably good idea. Mykola work from github is probably 80% of the work anyway. Hopefully someone can look into that. 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 10:19 PM, Matt S said:

Hi @Tony90100, did you ever figure out how to get that repo to work? I'm trying to use it as well. I tried using it to define a geometry node but it doesn't seem like that works either. I really want to get this to work. 

Hi Matt, not yet! let me know if you are able to run it! yo!

• 2 weeks later...