Weird Artifacts after using RBD material fracture node? [HELP]

tryhard_3d

Hey everyone hope you'll are doing fine.
I've come across a problem while using the RBD material fracture node in H17.5.
I have a geo modeled in 3ds max, imported to Houdini. I am using the material fracture node and I end up getting these small planes jutting out of the geo when I turn on the interior detail option only.'

However, when I turn off the interior detail, the artifact goes away.

(I've attached two screenshots showing when the interior detail is off and on)
One more thing to note is that whenever I increase the number of points to fracture parts of the geo just disappears and the boolean cutters appear (I presume its created by the RBD material fracture node itself)

Sorry for the lengthy post. Would be glad if someone would help me out here.
Also posting the geo if anyone would wanna check it out.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/107rnWqKQWlNUxXAdkRAmwSmgq79qbNbe?usp=sharing

Thanks and take care!

interior detail off.PNG

interior detail on.PNG

geoForReddit.bgeo.sc

Hi,

I had this problem a lot. I tried it with H18, and as you said those annoying things appear. What I did was instead of using the interior detail inside the rbdmaterialfracture node, I added a RBD Interior Detail node which has a bit more options inside. Inside the RBD Interior Detail, there are three parameters under Displacement Scaling. Those helped me get a better result especially by increasing Depth Volume Resolution and decreasing Clamp Depth Percentage. 

I would also want to add that adding interior detail makes a very very small change in the interior faces, edge detail by itself makes things look much better. You can see how little it changes with RBD Interior Details visualization option which shows you the changes with color. If I were you I wouldn't use interior detail and stick with just edge detail if that is possible, that is just my opinion of course. In addition, maybe adding some displacement/bump materials only for the inside group that the rbd material fracture creates instead of the regular way might be helpful too.

Hope these help! Would love to see a better option from someone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, berk_erdag said:

Hi,

I had this problem a lot. I tried it with H18, and as you said those annoying things appear. What I did was instead of using the interior detail inside the rbdmaterialfracture node, I added a RBD Interior Detail node which has a bit more options inside. Inside the RBD Interior Detail, there are three parameters under Displacement Scaling. Those helped me get a better result especially by increasing Depth Volume Resolution and decreasing Clamp Depth Percentage. 

I would also want to add that adding interior detail makes a very very small change in the interior faces, edge detail by itself makes things look much better. You can see how little it changes with RBD Interior Details visualization option which shows you the changes with color. If I were you I wouldn't use interior detail and stick with just edge detail if that is possible, that is just my opinion of course. In addition, maybe adding some displacement/bump materials only for the inside group that the rbd material fracture creates instead of the regular way might be helpful too.

Hope these help! Would love to see a better option from someone.

This is great! Thank you so much. Will give it a go!

• 2 months later...