caching substeps

Caching sub steps using the file cache node doesn't seem like a full proof solution if you want to cache sub steps from such data as a particle sim, etc. For example, I wanted to cache (bgeo) of a particle simulation with 5 substeps. If you look at my photo, you can see that I get frames like 2.200000000000000001 instead of 2.2. I tried everything, I tried setting the substeps to 5, I tried setting the increment to things such as (0.2 or 1/5) but nothing works. Some times it works, sometimes it does not (meaning some frames get the right number and some get long decimals). If I am only doing 2 substeps, it usually works fine. The more substeps you add, it starts to become less stable. Even the documentation says, “The disadvantage of using $FF is possible binary-to-decimal arithmetic errors causing $FF to have a value like 31.99999.” So does that mean there is no way to guarantee 100% success rate when caching substeps? If so, that seems like something that would be worth fixing. Thanks

sub.jpg

3 hours ago, ejr32123 said:

Caching sub steps using the file cache node doesn't seem like a full proof solution if you want to cache sub steps from such data as a particle sim, etc. For example, I wanted to cache (bgeo) of a particle simulation with 5 substeps. If you look at my photo, you can see that I get frames like 2.200000000000000001 instead of 2.2. I tried everything, I tried setting the substeps to 5, I tried setting the increment to things such as (0.2 or 1/5) but nothing works. Some times it works, sometimes it does not (meaning some frames get the right number and some get long decimals). If I am only doing 2 substeps, it usually works fine. The more substeps you add, it starts to become less stable. Even the documentation says, “The disadvantage of using $FF is possible binary-to-decimal arithmetic errors causing $FF to have a value like 31.99999.” So does that mean there is no way to guarantee 100% success rate when caching substeps? If so, that seems like something that would be worth fixing. Thanks

Hi,

have you read this?

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/76644/

• Thanks 1

That doesn't solve the problem because it is saving the wrong frame, so it just gets the wrong frame to a specific decimal. It seems impossible to cache 5 substeps. 2 and 4 work perfectly, but 5 and 10 dont work at all. 5 should work fine, 1, 1.2,1.4,1.6,1.8

image.png.9585cbdfb4c28d2e211ecae35820d544.png

Edited by ejr32123

1 hour ago, ejr32123 said:

That doesn't solve the problem because it is saving the wrong frame, so it just gets the wrong frame to a specific decimal. It seems impossible to cache 5 substeps. 2 and 4 work perfectly, but 5 and 10 dont work at all. 5 should work fine, 1, 1.2,1.4,1.6,1.8

Have you tried? It works for me.

cache.png

dop_cache.hipnc

Hi,

I did the same thing a while back using a similar expression in Hscript and Python:

{
    string result = chs("elementname");
    string frame = "";

if (strcmp(chs("range"), "static") == 0)
        return result + ".bgeo.sc";
    else if (strcmp(chs("range"), "single") == 0)
    {
        frame = pythonexprs('"%04d" % (hou.evalParm("frame"))');
    }
    else if (strcmp(chs("range"), "fullrange") == 0)
    {
        if (ch("substeps") == 1)
            frame = pythonexprs('"%04d" % (int(hou.frame()))');
        else
            frame = pythonexprs('"%04d.%04d" % (int(hou.frame()),int(hou.frame()*10000)%10000)');
    }
    return result + "." + frame + ".bgeo.sc";
}

This is to be able to perfectly write and read subframe files.

Note that even if you do all this, nodes like TimeBlend won't use your subframe files, so I had to create my own TimeBlend SOP. SESI knows this limitation.

1.gif?token-time=1608967751&token-hash=C1uLH6oPuVem73-IdKtGCkzyQTpze9EcjbjaF06lW4g%3D

More info on my patreon if you need the tools and more in-depth explanation: https://www.patreon.com/posts/timeblend-sop-30871322

• Like 2