per point random spans across frame range

hmihalis1

Hi all, 

I need to generate an integer attribute on points that switches between 0 and 1 across a frame range like this: 

spans.thumb.jpg.11391e6da6d2489d287b83fcb7ee7bc8.jpg

so the length of the spans is driven by a min/max, and their distribution is then randomly scattered across the frame range. This also need to be different for each new point as they are born . Could anyone help me break down what I need to do this in vex/vops? I was told to look into arrays and while loops which is well beyond my current VEX level. 

Many thanks, 

Thanks @Librarian . Are you suggesting generating a noise and clamping it? I had thought of chops as a solution but is there a way to randomize that per point, and also to define the precise duration of the periods? i know i could use a noise but im trying to find a way to avoid having to tweak values to get the kind of variation im after and instead be able to just enter the values. 

Looking at the tokeru article now and it seems like theres some stuff that covers per point offsets specifically which is cool - i'll see what I can figure out with the spans

Edited by hmihalis1