So I recently stumbled onto the Motion Path Handles Tool which allows you to visualize your animation curves in 3d space and also edit your keyframes in 3d space as well.

I absolutely love this feature but from what i've read and experimented with it only seems you can get this Motion Path Handle UI tool at the OBJ level as it requires you to have the Pose mode selected on the left hand side of the Viewport.

I was hoping someone could help me find a way to use this Motion Path Handle tool at the SOP level for a kineFX rig on say a rig pose node or something. 

If nothing like this exists at the SOPs level yet maybe we could brainstorm a way to either get something similar working at SOPs level, or how to procedurally import joints up to the OBJ level to be controlled with Nulls and therefor could use the Pose tool and the Motion Path Handle animation UI at OBJ level still.

Motion Path Handles: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/basics/motionpath.html

Animation Path.PNG

I'm currently working on a tool that can be used for motion paths. wip version is here: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/75479/

It relies on Orientation Along Curve SOP under the hood so sometimes it's a bit tricky to control orientation but it's definitely possible. On gifs I'm just extracting transform from curve and applying this transform on joint using simple fbik setup.

kinefx-path.gif

kinefx-pen.gif

• 2 months later...