walk cycle

betty

hi everybody

well i had left the character tools alone for quite a while until the recent post on bone setups got me excited again.

i tried doing a simple walk cycle but am having problems. i am not rally worried about the animation, (actually it's quite incomplete and simple and not the priority or focus of the excercise), but i am having difficulty with organising the CHOP networks into a simple streamlined workflow.

what i really want is say all th parameters which are going out to specified channels to all come out of one CHOP. i then figure it would then be easier to do things like blends from walk>run , run>jump etc. basically just making things easy in the workflow then having all these different CHOPs everywhere.

i've attached a hipfile, which may be of interest to "complete novices" as i am very much a novice myself, but i am hoping for some advice on how to better set this up for animation transitions.

thanks kenny for the leg set-up which is pretty much (99%) what i've used.

btw, i just remembered my cycleCHOP is a mess, i can't seem to keep my cycles in proportion. as i'm cycling the z-xform of the feet, one seems to be going fine while the other looses a bit of distance which each cycle which of course turns into a disaster. it seems simple enough and can't see why it is doing that to one channel and not the other. obviously i'm a touch confused......?????

walkcycle.zip

Hmm ... maybe it's because one of your cycle chops for the foot raising ihas Blend from Start to End turned on? The stretch chops also look a bit weird though ... maybe you should use cubic instead of linear for those. Finally, maybe you need to overlap the cycles by 1 frame?

• 4 weeks later...

What's up, betty? What's been keeping you so busy? I'd love to know what people are busy doing with Houdini nowadays. Me and the small team I'm in are busy with fluid simulation tasks for "The Day After Tomorrow" (or it might be just called "Tomorrow" now).. writing SOPs to interface with our fluid simulation software, reading and writing vectorfields, surfaces, levelsets, and coming up with particle and volume rendering techniques. We're still in development but it's getting more and more fun every day as the system get solid.

Cheers,

J