VDBs & Mantra light display issue in viewport

This is more of a minor annoyance than anything else, but I'm working through part 3 of that free Rebelway asset creation course and around 9:30 I noticed a different behavior than in the video when trying to shade a VDB fog in the viewport with standard distant lights.  It seems like the light gets cut off at the surface of the volume, and as far as I can tell it's not caused by the Arnold lights or anything else in the scene.  The set up is super basic, and the same thing happens when building the scene from scratch in new projects.  That said, it would be nice to have lights interacting properly with the fog, so I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any idea what might be causing that.  I know that this masterclass was created in a much older version of Houdini, perhaps as early as 16.5, so I imagine it might be a version difference, but it seems like a silly behavior to change.  Might it be a bug?  It still happens after updating Houdini...

lightrig1.png

lightrig2.png

lightrig3.png