Multiple alembic exports in one take

Hi guys,

I tried to google and search here, but without luck.

I am surprised that i even have to ask here, and that is tricky thing to do in houdini.

I have my node graph, some FEM character setup. I want to export alembic for whole timeline but on several points in graph. Before remeshing, after conversion to TET mesh, than after simulation, and after some deformers to get final result. But i want to do it all in one go.

Houdini need's to go through all of those stages anyway... is there a way to have alembic ROPS on different places and export them all in one go?

I tried with ROP network, to fetch all my rops and merge them.. but looks like it will go through timeline all over again for every rop.

Any ideas? is this doable?

Thanx,
C

Edited by chovasie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

From what I understand you're trying to export multiple alembics with a single click without having to manually wait for one to finish to start the other? 

If so, peep this simple trick. You can select the multiple ROP alembics you have then just hit save to disk, this will tell houdini to start exporting the next alembic as soon as one alembic is finished (see GIF attached).

multipleAlembicExports.gif.214732287222f7502292b937e4bbeeaa.gif

Hope this is what you're looking for! :)

Edited by Ziyad

Hi Ziyad,

Thank you for reply, but that's not what i was looking for. I have complex character setup, with rig, bones, converting that to FEM meshes, than i have 2 solvers, than some SOPs to fix geometry after simulation, and combine meshes...

For 1 frame it takes like 30 seconds per frame. To get to final result it needs to go through EVERY node in graph. For debugging purposes i would like to export alembic for whole timeline, but on several places in my graph...

So i would like to simulate just once, but to have output of 5 alembics. One on start of the graph, second on converting to FEM to see how my FEM mesh looks like in animation and what im puting in FEM solver. Than after that one more after simulation is one... Than one more after everytning is combined and i have final mesh...

But i would liek to have that in one take.. i cant go through 2000 frames, 30 seconds per frame 5 times. houdini already have all that mid steps in process and all it needs to do is to esport allembics in the process.. But i cant find way to do it.

Picture would explain better than i did... I can make it to do all rops in batch.. but it will start simulation all over again and simulate all frames for every single ROP. I want all of them in one pass.

C

example.png

Hey, 

I see now what you mean! I'm honestly not sure if there is a way to do it, haven't seen anyone do it in the past. Sorry I couldn't help, hopefully someone smarter than me can have a look at your post and provide a solution :)

Best of luck! 

On 31.10.2021 at 12:52 AM, chovasie said:

I tried with ROP network, to fetch all my rops and merge them.. but looks like it will go through timeline all over again for every rop.

Did you uncheck "Render Full Range (Override Frame-By-Frame)" checkbox on Alembic Output ROP while you used Fetch ROPs with frame by frame mode?

1 hour ago, vicvvsh said:

Did you uncheck "Render Full Range (Override Frame-By-Frame)" checkbox on Alembic Output ROP while you used Fetch ROPs with frame by frame mode?

Maybe i am still missing something, but even if i uncheck that it goes rop by rop. If i add 3 ROP's in merge node in ropnet, it will spit out first one, because it's fast, but will go through whole timeline, than go back to frame 1 and start all over again for next rop. Looks like it does not work.

But thank you for suggestion.

C

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Vicvvsh, I was away from desk, so i just got to test it today, with sequential connections of fetch nodes in ROP, and turning off "render timeline" on alembic rops, it worked finally!

So far i didn't have problems with memory, but i'll keep it in mind.

You saved the day! :)

Thanx,

C